Applications are now invited for the fully funded MasterCard Foundation Scholarship 2020. The University of Pretoria (UP) in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation (MCF) is currently offering master’s scholarships for high achieving African students interested in studying at postgraduate levels, commencing in January 2020.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people in Africa who will contribute to the transformation of the continent through their knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values evidenced by their leadership. Community service and internships are essential components of the Program. The MCFSP offers a full scholarship to selected students who have been provisionally admitted to study towards a postgraduate degree at UP. Graduates must return to their home countries on completion of their studies and give back to their communities.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) at the University of Pretoria (UP) for full-time
postgraduate study is open to students who have already completed a bachelor’s degree and are
residents or citizens of an African country. This Program targets academically qualified, yet economically
disadvantaged, young people in Africa who will go back to contribute to the transformation of their
countries. Applicants should not already be in possession of a Masters Degree/ Qualification.
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship 2020 Details:
- South Africa
- University of Pretoria (UP)
Fields of Study:
Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Food Science and Technology
- Agricultural Economics / Business Management
- Animal Science
- Plant Pathology
- Applied Plant and Soil Sciences
Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Accounting Sciences
- Financial Sciences
- Agribusiness Management
Faculty of Humanities
- Humanities PolSci (Political Studies)
- PolSci (International Studies)
Faculty of Engineering – continuing students are eligible to apply
- Industrial Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
Must Apply for these international scholarships:
- Schwarzman Scholars Programme 2020-2021 in China – Fully Funded
- 600 Graduate Research Scholarships 2019 in Australia – Fully Funded
The MasterCard Foundation scholarship is a fully funded scholarship for Africans. It will cover:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation and meals in a UP residence or UP-accredited accommodation
- A modest monthly stipend
- Textbooks and printed material
- Medical aid cover for the duration of the study
- VISA costs
- Reasonable travel costs (including flight ticket) to and from your home
- Leadership development opportunities
- Academic advising and counseling support
- Open to young Africans who are interested in studying at postgraduate levels;
- You must have been admitted into a degree at UP. You will need your student number to complete the MCFSP application, which must be accompanied by your academic records and other supporting documents
How to Apply for MasterCard Foundation Scholarship 2020 in South Africa?
You may apply online:
To use the online Application system, you will need Internet access and an email address that you can access regularly. As soon as you submit your online application, a student number (EMPLID) will be sent to this email address as confirmation of receipt.
Alternatively, you can submit a hard copy of your application form to the following address:
University of Pretoria
Student Service Centre
The application will be evaluated by members of the relevant faculty and you will be informed of the outcome.
Postgraduate applicants are required to have their certificate verified by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). Please visit www.saqa.org.za
Download application forms for the MCFSP from www.up.ac.za/mcfsp.
Application inquiries can be directed to:
Tel: 012 420 4297
- Selection will focus on prior academic achievement, but also on the fit of the applicant to the ethos of the Program, which is focused on leadership and community development for Africa in addition to academic success.
- Successful applicants must be committed to completing their qualifications in minimum time, returning to their home countries and giving back to their communities.
- Applications to study at the UP open on 1 March 2019 and close on 31 August 2019. Applications for the MCFSP open on 1 May 2019 and close on 17 September 2019.