Are you passionate about human rights and want to make a difference in the world? Have you ever dreamed of working for the United Nations and fighting for the rights of people? If yes, then here’s an opportunity for you. The UN Human Rights Office is currently accepting applications for its UN OHCHR Fellowship 2023 in Switzerland. This is a unique and exciting fellowship opportunity for individuals of African descent to gain first-hand exposure to the UN human rights system and to develop their skills in project proposal development, public speaking, and information submission to human rights mechanisms. In this article, we will delve into the details of this fully-funded fellowship, including its eligibility criteria, benefits, and application process, to help potential applicants understand how to apply and what they can expect from the program.
The United Nations fellowship program was started in 2011 by the Anti-Racial Discrimination Section and is now supported by a General Assembly resolution. The program is part of the implementation of the International Decade for People of African Descent, which aims to recognize and promote the rights and well-being of people of African descent worldwide. The High Commissioner is responsible for coordinating the Decade. The primary goal of the international fellowship program is to enhance the skills of participants in promoting and protecting the civil, political, economic, social, and cultural rights of people of African descent in their countries. By participating in the program, individuals can gain knowledge and tools to develop legislation, policies, and programs that can positively impact their communities. Participants will also learn how to collaborate with civil society and government organizations to improve the situation of people of African descent.
This fully funded fellowship in Europe can help individuals build a network of contacts with fellow participants and human rights practitioners, which can be beneficial for their future career opportunities. Without a doubt, this fellowship offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to gain valuable experience in the field of human rights, while also exploring the beautiful country of Switzerland. Time is running out to apply for this valuable opportunity to strengthen your skills and make a difference in promoting and protecting the rights of people. So, don’t miss out on this chance to contribute and apply before the deadline.
The United Nations (UN) is an international organization founded in 1945 to promote peace, security, and cooperation among nations. The UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) is one of the specialized agencies of the UN system, established in 1993 to promote and protect human rights globally. This fellowship is a unique opportunity for individuals of African descent to gain valuable skills and knowledge in the field of human rights. Not only will they be able to contribute to the promotion and protection of human rights in their respective countries, but they will also have the opportunity to travel to Switzerland and receive training from leading experts in the field. This experience can be a valuable asset to one’s personal and professional development, providing a unique perspective on global issues and the workings of the UN system.
UN OHCHR Fellowship 2023 in Switzerland:
- Geneva, Switzerland
- UN OHCHR
- The duration of this UN fellowship is from 13 November to 1st December.
Benefits of UN OHCHR Fellowship Program in Geneva, Switzerland:
- Financial Support:
The fellowship will cover economy-class tickets, basic health insurance, and a stipend. The stipend will cover the accommodation and other living expenses.
- Focus on Combating Racism and Related Intolerance:
The program has a specific focus on combating racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia, and related intolerance. Participants will gain a deeper understanding of these issues and the legal frameworks and mechanisms in place to address them.
- Skill Development:
Participants will have the opportunity to strengthen their skills in project proposal development, delivering presentations, and submitting information to human rights mechanisms. These skills are essential for effective advocacy and engagement with the human rights system.
- First-hand Exposure to Human Rights Mechanisms:
Participants will have the opportunity to engage with various human rights mechanisms, including treaty bodies, special procedures, and the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) process. This first-hand exposure will provide valuable insights into the workings of these mechanisms and how to effectively engage with them.
- Exposure to Different Cultures:
Participants in the program come from diverse backgrounds and cultures. This will provide an opportunity for participants to learn about different cultural perspectives on human rights issues and broaden their understanding of these issues.
- Career Development:
The fellowship program provides participants with the skills and knowledge necessary to advance their careers in the human rights field. Participants gain practical experience in advocacy, research, and networking, which can be applied in their future work.
- Networking Opportunities:
Participants will have the opportunity to meet with a wide range of actors, including UN officials, human rights experts, and civil society organizations. This provides a platform for networking and building relationships with key actors in the human rights field.
Eligibility Criteria For UN OHCHR Fellowship in Switzerland 2023:
The eligibility criteria for the fellowship program are as follows:
- The candidate must be of African descent and currently living outside of Africa.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 4 years of work experience related to the rights of people of African descent.
- The candidate must have a good command of the English language.
- The candidate must be available to attend the entire duration of the program.
- The candidate must be able to obtain a visa to travel to the host country (Switzerland) and any other country that may be included in the program.
- The candidate must be involved in the promotion and protection of the human rights of people of African descent.
List of Documents Needed to Apply for the UN Fellowship:
Here are the required documents for the fellowship program:
- Completed Application Form:
Fill out and sign this form, including personal and contact information, education, and work experience.
- Copy of Applicant’s Passport:
Submit a valid passport copy to verify identity and nationality.
- Curriculum Vitae:
Include a summary of educational qualifications, work experience, skills, and achievements.
- Personal Statement:
Write a maximum of 500 words explaining your motivation for applying and how the knowledge gained will promote the interests and rights of people of African descent.
- Official Letter from the Nominating Organization:
This letter must certify the applicant’s status and be on the organization’s official letterhead.
All required documents must be submitted in a single email to firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply for UN OHCHR Fellowship Program 2023?
- Candidates need to submit an online application.
- For that, download and complete the application form in English, Français, or Español.
- Prepare a personal statement of no more than 500 words in which you explain your motivation for applying and how you plan to use the knowledge gained from the fellowship to promote the interests and rights of people of African descent.
- Obtain an official letter from the organization that is nominating you, certifying your status.
- Make sure you have a copy of your passport available.
- Rename all the attached documents to follow the naming convention of “LAST NAME First name – Type of document”.
- Send an email to email@example.com with the following attachments:
- Completed application form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal statement
- Official letter from the nominating organization
- Copy of your passport
- Make sure that the email subject header mentions “Application for the 2023 Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent”.
- Submit the email with all the required attachments before the deadline of April 30, 2023.
Note: It is important to note that any submission with more than five attachments will not be accepted, so make sure to combine all required documents into a single file.
UN OHCHR Fellowship Application Deadline:
The deadline for submitting applications for the fellowship program is April 30, 2023.