Are you looking for best summer internship 2019? If yes, then apply for UTRIP Summer Internship 2019 in Tokyo, Japan. The UTRIP is a fully funded international summer internship in Japan. IELTS/TOEFL is not required for those who have received an English-medium education continuously. The duration of the UTRIP Internship Program is 6 weeks. The Research Summer Internship 2019 will run from June 13 to July 24, 2019, for 1st Crew students, and June 27 to August 7, 2019, for 2nd Crew students.
The UTRIP stands for University of Tokyo Research Internship Program. There is no program fees for this summer internship program and all the participants will get free accommodation. The selected students will get allowance which will cover the round air, local transportation and daily expenses.
The UTRIP Summer Internship Program was launched by the Graduate School of Science (GSS) of the University of Tokyo (one of the world’s leading research-education universities) as part of its campaign begun in June 2010 for promoting the internationalization of the GSS by inviting talented young students from abroad.
UTRIP is a gateway to pursuing an advance degree and experiencing academic life at UTokyo. Take this opportunity to get a head-start for challenging the rigors of graduate study in the natural sciences.
UTRIP Summer Internship 2019 Details:
- The University of Tokyo
- 6 Weeks
- June 13 to July 24, 2019 – 1st Batch
- June 27 to August 7, 2019 – 2nd Batch
- Natural science or Related Field
The Japan Summer Internship is fully funded. UTRIP participants will be granted financial support to cover their costs and expenses.
|University location of the selected UTRIP participant||Allowance amount|
|Asia / Eastern Russia / Oceania & Pacific Regions||140,000JPY|
|Europe / Western Russia / North America||160,000JPY|
|Latin America & the Caribbean / Africa / Middle East||170,000JPY|
*Regions in Russia to the east of the Ural Mountains are counted as “Eastern Russia”, and those to the west of the Ural Mountains are counted as “Western Russia”.
- This allowance will be provided to cover both the round trip airfare to Japan and daily expenses such as transportation in Japan.
- Housing: As part of the GSS-UTRIP Scholarship, free housing will be provided for the duration of the stay (43 nights).
Applicants of Japan Summer Internship Program 2019 must:
- Have completed at least one full year in a Bachelor’s degree program at the time of application.
- Be enrolled in and, after the UTRIP program ends, be expected to return to, at least another semester, quarter, or another equivalent academic term, in a Bachelor’s degree program (or a Bachelor’s-equivalent year of an integrated Bachelor’s-Master’s degree program) at a university outside of Japan.
- At selection, the priority for nomination is given to applicants expected to be in their third year of a four-year Bachelor’s degree program and to applicants expected to be in their second year of a three-year Bachelor’s degree program. Second-year students in four-year Bachelor’s degree programs are also encouraged to apply.
- Be enrolled in a natural science or related field.
- Be thinking of pursuing long-term career goals in a scientific area.
- Be planning to commit to the entire six consecutive weeks of the UTRIP program (June 13 to July 24, 2019, for 1st Crew students, and June 27 to August 7, 2019, for 2nd Crew students) on a full-time basis.
- Be able to present coverage of a health insurance plan that is effective during the internship program before arriving in Japan.
- English proficiency: test scores of TOEFL or an equivalent English proficiency test (such as IELTS) are required if English is not your first language. Test scores that have already expired are accepted, as long as the applicant is still able to produce proof of the test scores upon request by the UTRIP office. Students who have received an English-medium education continuously for the past 8 years are exempted from submitting English proficiency test scores.
Also Check some other international summer programs 2019:
- CERN Openlab Summer Program – Fully Funded
- ETH Student Summer Program 2019 in Switzerland – Fully Funded
- Hansen Summer Institute in USA – Fully Funded
- CDLinks Summer School in Italy 2019
All required documents are required to be submitted Online.
Applicants must answer the following topics in 700 – 1000 words in total:
- Your reasons for selecting the particular research project(s) in the UTRIP program, and what you hope to gain from this experience
- What makes you qualified for the particular research project(s), briefly highlighting your skills and experience when they are specifically required by the faculty member(s) of your choice, or when they appear to be helpful to conduct research in the laboratory(ies) that you have selected
- Whether you are thinking of applying to the Graduate School of Science at the University of Tokyo after you graduate from your current university, citing your reasons
Educational Background and Qualifications
Resume / CV
- This should include in-depth descriptions of any work experience, responsibilities or projects relevant to the research topic on which you wish to work during the program. It should also list recent schools attended (high school, university, etc.) together with year/month of entrance and completion for each, and briefly explain courses you have taken or will take as well as prizes and awards relevant to the research topic, if you have any.
- Applicants whose universities provide official GPA scores must write those scores. If your university does not provide an official GPA score, you are required to calculate your own GPA and then describe the calculation in the “Notes” section.
English Language Qualifications
- Applicants who speak English as their first language OR those that have received an English-medium education continuously for the past 8 years are exempted from submitting the test scores.
- All other applicants must fill in their test scores of TOEFL or an equivalent English proficiency test (such as IELTS), and submit a scanned copy of the official test score certificate. Test scores that have already expired are accepted, as long as the applicant is still able to produce an original-copy proof of the test scores upon request by the UTRIP office.
Scanned Copy of Academic Transcript
Submit a scanned copy of the official university transcript(s). A transcript must include:
- Your name
- University name
- Year of admission
- List of courses completed (Course titles, grades and credits should be included)
- Legend (An official explanation of the grading system provided by the university; if this is not included in the official transcript, you may scan in together a separate official document to supplement your transcript.)
When applying, please submit a scanned or electronic copy of your academic transcript. We will request an official academic record in its original copy (with an official stamp affixed and authorized signature) after your acceptance into the UTRIP program.
- You are required to submit one recommendation letter issued by a professor who knows your educational background in the field of natural science and your academic performance, and can make an informed judgment on your suitability for the research project with which you wish to work.
How to Apply for UTRIP Summer Internship 2019 in Tokyo, Japan?
You can proceed to summer internship online application by clicking Apply Now button below. Make sure that you have all the above information and materials ready at hand when you submit your online application. There are no “save” functions on this application system. Note that each applicant is responsible for the completeness of his or her own application. We cannot respond to any inquiries asking whether any specific applications submitted on our system have been judged to be valid.
Selection will be made based on all of your submitted documents.
Selected students will receive a notification from the UTRIP office around early to late March, asking them to confirm their willingness to participate in the UTRIP program by a specified date. Make sure that you check your emails regularly, and that emails from are not treated as spam by your spam filter.
- The application deadline for UTRIP Summer Internship 2019 in Tokyo, Japan is 10 January 2019, Japan Standard Time (GMT+0900).