Ready to take your travel writing to the next level? Apply for the 2019 Travel Writing Scholarship to Portugal. You could be off on a once in a lifetime adventure.
On the trip you’ll attend a comprehensive travel writing workshop with Tim and witness the evolution of this age-old civilisation as it emerges as a hub for digital nomads and creatives. Then, you’ll be sent off to uncover the stories of the people who give life to the historical heart, sweeping coastlines and cobbled lanes of one of the oldest countries in Europe.
This year we’re looking for 3 aspiring travel writers to go on assignment in Portugal and be mentored by professional travel writer and contributor to The New York Times, Tim Neville.
Travel Writing Scholarship 2019 Details:
- World Nomads
- 14 Days
Also Apply for Commonwealth Youth Dialogue Conference 2019 in Malaysia
- Receive a round-trip airfare from your closest international airport to Portugal.
- Attend a 4-day workshop with Tim Neville and receive a portfolio review from Norie Quintos.
- Embark on a bespoke 10-day adventure with US $1000 and free accommodation.
- Score a copy of Lonely Planet’s ‘How to be a Travel Writer’.
- Explore more of Portugal and Europe with a 1-month Global Eurail (or Interrail) pass.
- As always, travel insurance for the trip provided by World Nomads.
What the judges are looking for?
To be chosen for this scholarship you’ll need to convince our judging panel through your writing that you have the spirit of adventure and passion for travel writing. Your writing should showcase:
- Great descriptive ability (without getting flowery)
- A well-structured narrative and a strong eye for detail
- Ability to uncover a great travel story and tell it in a compelling way
- Excellent spelling and grammar and a knack for avoiding clichés
How to Apply for Travel Writing Workshop 2019?
1. Select your story theme
- ‘A leap into the unknown’
- ‘Making a local connection’
- I didn’t expect to find’
2. Write a travel story
- Use your chosen theme to craft a compelling story about a travel experience you’ve had in 700 words or less.
3. Complete the application form
- Fill in your personal details so we know how to contact you should you make the shortlist.
- Apply by March 13, 2019 at 10PM (EDT)
The 3 recipients of the Scholarship, along with the shortlist of best travel stories will be published on the results page on 30 April, 2019