Microsoft Research Fellowship is a combination of mentorship, research, networking, and academic excellence. This fully-funded fellowship program by Microsoft is a global program and it benefits the next generations of research leaders who are eager to change the world with their research work and who want to contribute to the progress of their communities and to the entire world as a whole. The Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship is a golden opportunity to get real-life experiences and to have interaction with the outer world while working on the given tasks and projects.
The fully-funded international fellowship at Microsoft has been started in 1999 for the PhD research students and since then this global fellowship program has attracted thousands of students from every region of the world. Furthermore, the Microsoft fellowship for PhD students benefits the students of different regions separately because there are seats for each region of the world. The regions include Asia-Pacific, Australia & New Zealand, Canada & US, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. So this interesting research fellowship aims at empowering all the capable minds from every nook and corner of the world.
Microsoft is known for its recognition capacities when it comes to the value of diversity in this digitized world. Through this fellowship, Microsoft increases the talent pool which is comprised of the advanced degree holders in computing-related fields. The purpose of this international research fellowship program is to build a diverse community of computing-related researchers from all over the globe. Looking into the success rates of the researcher after attending this prestigious fully paid fellowship, one gets astonished that most of the researchers ended up working full time with Microsoft or they are serving as pioneers in other technology companies.
This PhD fellowship serves as a milestone for the brighter and more promising future of the fellows. This is because of the fact that the researchers in this fellowship program work with the Microsoft research labs in their specific regions and get to learn advanced techniques and have a hand in world-changing research. This enables them to have a head start from the world’s best institute of networking and computing. One more thing about this fellowship that is very outstanding is the vast areas of research. Microsoft is a giant with research work in almost every field of life either science, humanities, or the IT world. Thus, in this Microsoft Research Fellowship for PhD students, there is no lack of research work fields and one can easily get an aligned research project with one’s own PhD research.
Microsoft Research Fellowship 2022-23:
- Canada and the United States
- EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa)
- Latin America
- Australia and New Zealand
Benefits of the Microsoft Research Fellowship 2022-23:
- The tuition fee for 2023-2024 will be covered.
- A handsome amount of cash stipend will be paid. The stipend varies from region to region. For example for Asia –pacific it is $10,000 USD and for Canada and US, it is $ 42000 USD.
- The stipend can be utilized for living costs, attending conferences, and doing research work.
- The fellows will be given the opportunity to attend the Microsoft Research Asia Academic Conference.
- The fellows will be provided with the opportunities to build relationships with research teams at Microsoft and receive mentorship.
Eligibility Criteria of the Microsoft Research Fellowship 2022-23:
- All international PhD students can apply.
- The PhD students must be able to complete PhD in 2024.
- Applicants must be attending the university in their specific region. For example, if you are applying for the Asia Pacific region you must be studying at a university in mainland China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore, or Taiwan. The same is the case with other regions.
- Your research must be aligned with the research offered for your specific regions.
- Ph.D. students must be nominated by their university.
How to apply for the Microsoft Fellowship 2022-23?
- The candidates have to apply online.
- You must make the choice of your region according to your university and your university must come from that specific region.
- Letters of recommendation are required which must be submitted by the recommenders directly.
- You have to send the request for a link to upload the recommendation letters through the submission portal; the recommenders will receive a private link to upload a letter of recommendation for you. Please note that you and your recommenders may need to check your junk folders in order to find emails from our portal.
- A research statement of approximately 1,000 words is required. The stamen must provide a summary of your research accomplishments and current work, and highlight your most outstanding contribution to the academia. It must discuss the future direction and potential of your work, especially your research plan for the next few years of PhD study.
Note: there is a slight difference in the application requirements for each region and candidates must have a careful understanding of that difference before submitting the application.