Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023-24 is an initiative taken by the Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO). It is a commendable opportunity for those individuals who are passionate and brilliant. Commonwealth Scholarships 2023-24 is an excellent option for candidates belonging to the least developed and brittle states in the Commonwealth to be able to continue their studies to a doctoral level at renowned institutions in the UK. It enables them to acquire the relevant knowledge, skills, and abilities required for meeting the goals of sustainable development. It drives top-class graduates to commence quality-oriented research. In this way, they will become prominent researchers, leaders, or teachers in their native states.
The 2024 Commonwealth scholarship aims to encourage candidates from diverse cultural backgrounds, races, and economies through a standardized policy of non-discrimination. This fully-funded scholarship in the UK helps ensure promising cooperation and collaboration among foreigners. Moreover, it allows candidates to participate through a merit-based approach who cannot afford it otherwise. Its purpose is to cater to the development essentials of Commonwealth nations with the help of supporting research so that it will ultimately have a substantial developmental influence. With these rewards, individual teaching and research potential will also be intensified. In this way, institutional potential in academic and other and other areas of Commonwealth nations will also be enhanced. This will further add value to Higher education in the UK and research by grasping the attention of competent international students.
The Commonwealth doctoral scholarship for international students is available for six development themes which include tailoring science and technology for development; strengthening health systems and capacity; promoting global prosperity; strengthening international peace, security, and governance; strengthening resilience and response to crises; accompanied with access, inclusion, and opportunity. This UK scholarship boosts the educational career of candidates and helps in polishing their skills further, which will be a valuable addition to their professional careers. Additionally, people with diverse economic backgrounds will be able to improve their nation’s position worldwide, particularly among the commonwealth nations.
It provides financial assistance to the candidates during their study in the UK, with a monthly stipend and other family allowances. Moreover, it gives aspirants a chance to grow while engaging with the world’s best mentors. The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK aims to provide such scholarship, considering international development objectives. It seeks to incorporate British national interest with sustainable development goals by assisting future leaders and innovators and grasping the attention of talented candidates. The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission uses arduous procedures to ensure equity, inclusion, meritocracy, and extensive delivery access, particularly those belonging to low and middle-income countries.
Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023-24:
- United Kingdom
- UK Universities
- The UK Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO)
- Post-Doctoral Programs
- The duration of the UK Commonwealth Scholarships for PhD students is 3 years.
The least developed and fragile nations, which are eligible for this scholarship include:
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- The Gambia
Benefits of the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023-24 in UK:
- It is a globally extensive scholarship program catering to multiple development themes.
- It provides complete financial assistance to those who cannot otherwise afford to study in the UK.
- It provides approved airfare from the home country to the UK and then the UK to the hometown after the award.
- It provides approved tuition fees and a stipend of £1,347 per month, or £1,652 per month.
- It facilitates students with a warm clothing allowance if required.
- It provides students with study travel grants within or outside the UK.
- It provides a paid midterm visit to the home country, family allowances, and a spouse allowance of £290 monthly (in case of no children).
- If a child and spouse accompany a candidate, it provides a spouse allowance of £290 and a child allowance of £143 monthly.
- If the candidate is accompanied by children but no spouse, a £576.61 allowance is given monthly for the first child; £143 per month allowance is given monthly for both the second and third child.
Eligibility Criteria of Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023-24:
- An applicant must be a British-protected person.
- An applicant must be a native or a refugee of eligible Commonwealth countries.
- An applicant must be a permanent resident of eligible Commonwealth countries.
- An applicant must be available for study in the UK by the beginning of the UK academic calendar, i.e., September 2024.
- A candidate must possess a first degree of at least upper second-class honors standard, or a second-class degree and a Master’s degree by September 2024. If an applicant is applying for a second UK Master’s degree, he must provide a reasonable justification because CSC does not fund such degrees.
- A candidate must not be registered for an MPhil or Ph.D. degree at UK University or any other native university before September/October 2024.
- An applicant must provide evidence that he might not otherwise afford to study in the UK.
- An applicant must have provided all the necessary documents in the required format.
- If a candidate is declared disabled, additional financial support will be provided after a thorough assessment.
How to Apply for the Commonwealth Scholarships 2023-24 in the UK?
- The candidates have to apply from any one of the given nominating bodies i.e. National Nominating Agencies or Non-Governmental Organizations, and Charitable Bodies.
- CSC does not accept direct applications which have not followed the above-mentioned routes.
- The candidates must keep in mind that every nominating body has different eligibility criteria, so they must check the eligibility requirements of their nominating body as well. The candidates have to apply through the CSC online application system.
- The CSC applications and applications required by the nominating bodies are different and the candidates must apply for both.
- The applicants have to apply online through the CSC’s online application system.
- Provide all your standard personal information, e.g., name, address, date of birth, etc.
- Complete all the required fields for the Ph.D. program.
- The candidates have to list three universities and supervisors that will be needed at the time of selection.
- The candidates have to provide up to 10 publications and prizes and a personal summary of 300 words maximum to apply successfully.
- The candidate must upload their relevant undergraduate or post-graduate qualification degrees.
- The candidate has to provide a detailed employment history, and each employee must be described in a maximum of 100 words.
- The candidate must provide three references. One of them must be a current employer.
- Candidate must provide a development Impact Assessment that answers:
- How the scholarships help create a non-discriminatory platform for educational development (up to 200 words).
- How it will help you acquire new skills in your profile at the end of the tenure(up to 100 words)
- Outline how the development will be progressed through such Scholarships (up to 350 words).
- What should be the key indicators of work assessment? (up to 100 words).
- The candidate must mention his role, which demonstrates his leadership abilities (up to 500 words).
- Complete your application carefully and submit it.
Selection Criteria of the UK Commonwealth Scholarship 2023-24:
An applicant will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Academic merit
- Quality of the Study Plan
- Prospective Effect on the development of the home country
Documents Required for the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2024:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate degrees
- Up to 10 publications and prizes
- Statement of relevance on employment (up to 300 words)
- A Letter of reference.
- Scanned copy of passport or national identity card.
- The application deadline for the Commonwealth Scholarships 2024 in the UK is 17 October 2023.