The Wallace Stegner Fellowship 2019-21 at Stanford University is a unique among writing programs, Stanford offers ten two-year fellowships each year, five in fiction and five in poetry. All the fellows in each genre convene weekly in a 3-hour workshop with faculty.
Fellows are regarded as working artists, intent upon practicing and perfecting their craft. The only requirements are workshop attendance and writing. The program offers no degree.
In awarding fellowships, we consider the quality of the candidate’s creative work, potential for growth and ability to contribute to and profit from our writing workshops. The Stanford Creative Writing Program’s students are diverse in style and experience, with talent and seriousness the true common denominators.
The program is a two-year program; admissions are staggered so that there are ten first year fellows and ten second year fellows at Stanford at any given time.
- United States of America
- Stanford University
- 2 Years
- The fellowship includes a living stipend of $37,500 per academic year.
- The program also pays for each fellow’s tuition and health insurance.
Who can apply for a Stegner Fellowship?
- Anyone interested in a fellowship is welcome to apply.
I’m not a U.S. Citizen. Can I still apply?
- Yes. Anyone may apply, regardless of nationality. If accepted, for visa purposes you would be considered a non-matriculated graduate student at Stanford; we would work with you to obtain a J-1 visa.
I’m in my forties; am I too old to apply for the Fellowship?
- They have no age requirements for the program. We have accepted people as young as 22 and as old as 75.
What is the word limit for my manuscript?
- Fiction manuscripts should be approx. 9,000 words. Poetry manuscripts should be 10-15 pages in length.
Do I need to take the GRE?
- No; please do not send GRE or any other test scores. They will not be considered and will be discarded.
Do I need to take the TOEFL?
- No; please do not send TOEFL or any other test scores. They will not be considered and will be discarded.
Do I need to have letters of recommendation or transcripts sent?
- No; please do not have letters of recommendation or transcripts sent. They will not be considered and will be discarded. They only ask for the contact information of two recommenders so that they may contact them directly if we feel it is necessary.
How to Apply for Wallace Stegner Fellowship?
Fill the online application form by clicking on Apply Now button. Apply online through the given link. A fee of $85 is applicable. When you apply online you must pay the fee by credit card. If you apply by mail please send a check or money order made payable to Stanford University. Do not send cash.
- December 1, 2018