Submit your application for UN SDG Action Award 2019. Submit your idea and bring positive change in your community. To meet the SDGs they need everyone to take action. They are calling for the top mobilizers, storytellers, campaigners, connectors, visualizers, includers and creatives across the world who are making this happen!
Every year, the UN SDG Action Awards recognize individuals, civil society organizations, subnational governments, foundations, networks, private sector leaders who are advancing the global movement for the Sustainable Development Goals in the most transformative, impactful and innovative way.
Winners are presented at a breathtaking Awards Ceremony on the first night of the Global Festival of Action for Sustainable Development and their initiatives and projects highlighted throughout the year as an inspiration and role model to the growing global community of SDG leaders, decision-makers and influencers.
UN SDG Action Award 2019 Details:
The project/team that demonstrates the greatest successes with mobilizing individuals, volunteers or networks for collective action for the SDGs.
- This category is for initiatives that engage people in actions with a deeper investment of time than simple awareness raising actions. Examples of mobilisation include: collective or coordinated actions across cities/countries, series of SDG workshops, engaging communities in joint programmes or activities, large public demonstrations, and more.
The most impactful or innovative project to capture powerful human stories to help communicate the interconnectedness of the SDGs in people’s lives through different mediums.
- This category is focused on powerfully communicating about the interconnectivity of the issues underpinning the goals – with bonus points for explicit references to the SDGs. Different mediums for storytelling could include new media such as virtual or augmented reality, films, photo stories, cartoons, illustrations, performance.
The most impactful or innovative communications campaign (local/national/international) to raise public awareness about the SDGs and/or people’s role in SDG action.
- This award targets campaigns where messaging appeals to broader or different audiences, who are not already aware of SDGs or supportive of the goals.
The most impactful or innovative initiative using visual or creative representations of data to influence decision-makers and the public of the importance of the SDGs
- This award focusses on projects where complex concepts become readily understandable by visually presenting information in a compelling way. These may be animations or infographics which have reached a large or different audience or form powerful reporting tools to governments
The team/project that demonstrates innovative or impactful ways to engage multiple stakeholders or build networks to generate the transformational change needed to make the SDGs a reality.
- This category may include events that connect stakeholders and it is also seeking projects that creatively harness commitments or actions from different community members or stakeholders for instance apps to trade skills/time or provide information for sustainable actions.
The project/group that makes the most innovative and impactful effort to ensure that excluded groups become part of the SDG dialogue and decision making in their community or at international levels.
- The focus of this category is on civic empowerment more than on SDG implementation. For instance, an initiative that engages marginalized populations in SDG decision making is more aligned with this category one that delivers services to them as beneficiaries. Leave No One Behind!
The most impactful or innovative initiative that harnesses artistic expression to spur SDG Action and awareness through creativity, empowering and connecting people
- Artist expression such as performance (song, theatre, dance, spoken word), art installations, paintings, poetry, animation and more. While creativity will be an element in many categories, this category focuses more on the process of engaging and empowering people in the SDGs through creative arts- rather than on the resulting story or message itself.
- Shortlisted finalists will be invited to join and feature their work at the Global Festival of Action for Sustainable Development.
- Winners will be recognized at a special UN SDG Action Awards Ceremony held at the Festival on the evening of 2 May.
- Winners will be recognized as SDG Action Partners and their work featured throughout the year to raise their visibility and share their stories and inspiring work with the SDG community.
- Everyone is encouraged to apply. Projects led by UN entities and national governments will be eligible for honourable mentions only. However, if a government or UN project is co-organized with non-governmental partners, the partners are encouraged to apply on behalf of the project.
- Active participants in UN SDG Action Campaign programmes such as MYWorld, the Global Day to Act for SDGs are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Projects that have been closely co-developed with the UN SDG Action Campaign or as part of a signed partnership agreement with the Campaign would not be considered eligible. If you are unsure whether you are eligible, please contact them.
- Organisations can enter into multiple categories if each entry represents a different initiative. Please do not apply for the same initiative more than once. If you are unsure which category is the best fit for your project you can identify up to one additional category in your explanation of how your project fits the category. The entry will be assessed under the category for which it is deemed to be the best fit by the reviewers to give it the greatest chance of success.
How to Apply for UN SDG Action Award 2019?
To enter a project or initiative to win an SDG Action Award please carefully prepare the application by filling in the form below. It is recommended that you download the questions and prepare your answers in advance. A public profile page will be generated on the SDG Action Awards website for each entry.
- The last date to apply for UN SDG Action Award 2019 is January 30, 2019.
Finalists will be announced publicly in early March. All finalists will be notified via email by the Campaign team and contacted directly to plan their participation at the Festival and to organise their campaign for the People’s Choice Award.
The winners will be announced at a special SDG Action Awards ceremony, at the Global Festival of Action on 2 May.