The Uber AI Residency is an intensive one-year program (starting mid-late June 2018) intended for people seeking to advance their careers in machine learning research and practice. Residents will have the flexibility to pursue a range of different directions in research and application. Some projects might involve fundamental machine learning and AI research, pushing the frontiers of the field by developing new algorithms for learning and control. Others could include devising and training new models based on Uber’s huge data sets. These models may be seen through to production where they will impact millions. Yet other projects could use new or existing models in concert with Uber’s data to provide critical insights into our changing world. Residents will have the opportunity to work directly with a distinguished group of researchers and engineers both in AI Labs and across other product and operations teams at Uber.
A Residency will last for 12 months and will begin with an initial period of learning, exploration, and collaborative ideation. During this period, Residents will meet with researchers at AI Labs and with teams across Uber and converge on initial project directions, and mentorship will be arranged. Projects that span disciplines and teams are encouraged, and mentors may be selected from any team as appropriate for the project. Residents will be encouraged to publish their work externally at top machine learning venues (NIPS, ICLR, ICML, CVPR, EMNLP, ACL, etc.), via blog posts, or by posting open source projects.
- 12 Months (1 Year)
- BS, MS, or PhD in a technical field or equivalent experience
- Coursework in or working knowledge of linear algebra, calculus, and probability
- Coding ability in Python or C/C++
- Demonstrated experience with machine learning or deep learning algorithms, and demonstrated passion for the same. If you’re excited about ML, show us what you’ve done so far!
Preferred Qualifications (any of the below are great but none are required):
- Demonstrated success at self-driven projects: whether you coded something great from the ground up, executed a beautiful research project, organized a group of your peers to action, asked and answered an important societal question, or started a company, we’re looking for people that are used to pressing toward ambitions, exciting goals.
- A strong track record of open source contributions in any area, particularly machine learning.
- Impactful, well-cited publications in any field, particularly machine learning.
Residents will work from Uber’s Headquarters in downtown San Francisco. We strongly encourage applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds and from anywhere in the world! Candidates who need a visa to work in the US are also encouraged to apply; we will investigate options on a case-by-case basis for those who are accepted.
How to Apply:
The applications consists of two steps. Both must be completed or applications will not be considered!
Click the “Apply” button below, then “Apply with Resume,” and then submit your CV or Resume. Fill out the subsequent screens, and finally click “Apply Now” to submit step 1 of the application.
Collect the following required information:
- Transcript from your most recent degree (unofficial is fine)
- A cover letter containing (1) a brief statement on why you would be a great resident at Uber AI Labs and (2) a brief statement on a scientific question, machine learning model, and/or Uber dataset that you think would be exciting to work on.
March 11: Soft application deadline
March 18: Hard application deadline (candidates are encouraged to apply by March 11, although we will continue to review applications submitted until March 18)
APPLY NOW OFFICIAL LINK