Call for applications for Rhodes Scholarship Program 2018-2019 at University of Oxford in UK. The Rhodes Scholarship is a postgraduate award supporting exceptional students from around the world to study at the University of Oxford. The Scholarship aims to nurture public-spirited leaders for the world’s future.
The Rhodes Trust provides the Rhodes Scholarships in partnership with Second Century Founder, John McCall MacBain, and other generous benefactors.
The Rhodes Trust is an educational charity whose principal activity is to support scholars selected from 14 constituencies in order to study at the University of Oxford.
- United Kingdom
- University of Oxford
- Rhodes Trust
- Post Graduate Coruses
Fields of Study:
- Scholarships are awarded to study any courses offered by the University of Oxford at postgraduate level.
No. of Scholarships:
- Ninety-five outstanding young women and men are awarded the Scholarship each year.
- The Scholarship includes full tuition, a maintenance stipend, and flights to and from Oxford at the beginning and end of tenure
The following eligibility criteria apply to all applicants for the Rhodes Scholarship:
- Citizenship & residency: You must meet the citizenship/residency requirements of one of the Rhodes constituencies – please refer to our full list of Rhodes constituencies and the countries they include. If you do not meet any of these requirements, then you can apply for our new Global Rhodes Scholarship.
- Age: You must have reached your 18th birthday and not have passed your 24th birthday on 1 October in the year of application. There is some variation on the upper age limit across constituencies depending on the local environment. Please check carefully the specific age requirements for your constituency before applying. Successful candidates will arrive in Oxford the October following the selection process. The Scholarship may not be deferred.
- Education: Rhodes Scholars must have completed a Bachelor’s degree before coming up to Oxford, to a sufficiently high standard to meet both the Rhodes and the Oxford criteria. Please consult the detailed information provided by the constituency to which you are applying on How to apply for a Rhodes Scholarship page and the prospectus pages of the University of Oxford. NB Some constituencies require completion of your undergraduate degree in the year of application for the Scholarship.
How to Apply:
Click on the Apply Now button and start your application now by selecting your country. Please carefully read the detailed Information for Candidates specific to the country/region to which you are applying.
Also Visit: Australian Research Training Program (RTP)
Though expressed in the old-fashioned language of the founding documents (see History of the Rhodes Trust), the selection criteria governing selection across all Rhodes constituencies remain as relevant today as they were over 100 years ago:
- literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence)
- energy to use one’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
These are the essential qualities which Selection Committees are looking for, though their embodiment will be diverse and unique to each individual.
Selection Committees in each Rhodes constituency are made up of senior Rhodes Scholars (Rhodes alumni) and distinguished non-Scholar members of the local community, who represent a diverse range of experience and expertise.
The application timelines are vary by country. Please check the individual programs web page for each country.