The Rhodes Scholarship 2020 is the oldest (established 1903) international scholarship programme in the world, and one of the most prestigious. Administered by the Rhodes Trust in Oxford, the programme offers 100 fully-funded Scholarships each year for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom – one of the world’s leading universities.
The Rhodes Trust warmly welcomes applications from talented young people of diverse backgrounds. Selection of Rhodes Scholars is made without regard to gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, color, religion, social background, caste, or disability.
The mission of the Rhodes Trust is to identify and develop leaders to achieve public good. This is what the Rhodes Scholarships have done, with remarkable success, since their inception in 1903. The Rhodes Scholarships are administered by the Rhodes Trust, Oxford, United Kingdom. Until now, Scholarships have been awarded in 20 Rhodes constituencies (representing over 60 different countries) around the world. In 2019, 100 Rhodes Scholarships will be on offer, and two new Global Scholarships allow eligible candidates from the rest of the world to be nominated by their University.
Do you know the University of Melbourne is also offering 600 Fully Funded Graduate Research Scholarships in Australia for Masters/MPhil and Doctoral Programs? Must Apply.
Rhodes Scholarship 2020 Details:
- United Kingdom
- University of Oxford
- Rhodes Trust
- Post Graduate Courses
Popular International Scholarships 2019, Must Apply!
- Schwarzman Scholars Programme 2020-2021 in China – Fully Funded
- Stanford University Scholarships 2019-2020 in the USA – Fully Funded
- DAAD Germany: Helmut-Schmidt-Programme 2020 – Fully Funded
Fields of Study:
- Scholarships are awarded to study any courses offered by the University of Oxford at postgraduate level.
No. of Scholarships:
- 100 fully-funded Scholarships each year for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom.
- The Scholarship includes full tuition, a maintenance stipend, and flights to and from Oxford at the beginning and end of tenure
- The Rhodes Trust warmly welcomes applications from talented young persons of diverse backgrounds.
- The broad eligibility criteria of the Rhodes Scholarship; definitive eligibility criteria are listed in the relevant Information for Candidates document for your country/region.
List of Rhodes Scholarship Countries:
Below is a list of Rhodes constituencies. Please note that in addition to the “jurisdictional scholarships” listed below, we now offer Global Scholarships – see the note at the bottom of this page for more information.
- AUSTRALIA (9 Scholarships)
- BERMUDA (1 Scholarship)
- CANADA (11 Scholarships)
- CHINA (4 Scholarships)
- EAST AFRICA (1 Scholarship)
Covering Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan, and Burundi
- GERMANY (2 Scholarships)
- HONG KONG (1 Scholarship)
- INDIA (5 Scholarships)
- ISRAEL (2 Scholarships)
- JAMAICA & THE COMMONWEALTH CARIBBEAN (2 Scholarships)
Covering Antigua, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Trinidad & Tobago, Jamaica, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, St. Kitts-Nevis, Montserrat, Anguilla, the Turks and Caicos Islands, Cayman Islands, and the British Virgin Islands
- KENYA (2 Scholarships)
- MALAYSIA (1 Scholarship)
- NEW ZEALAND (3 Scholarships)
- PAKISTAN (1 Scholarship)
- SAUDI ARABIA (Up to 2 Scholarships)
- SINGAPORE (1 Scholarship)
- SOUTHERN AFRICA (10 Scholarships)
Covering South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, and eSwatini
- SYRIA, JORDAN, LEBANON, AND PALESTINE (2 Scholarships)
- UNITED ARAB EMIRATES (2 Scholarships)
- UNITED STATES (32 Scholarships)
- WEST AFRICA (1 Scholarship)
Covering Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the island of Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, São Tomé and Principe, and Togo.
- ZAMBIA (2 Scholarships)
- ZIMBABWE (2 Scholarships)
Please note, if you are not eligible to apply for Rhodes Scholarships for any of the above countries please visit ‘Rhodes Global Scholarship UK?‘ to see the Global Scholarships and inter-jurisdictional options.
How to Apply for Rhodes Scholarship 2020 in the UK?
Click on the Apply Now button and start your application now by selecting your country. Please carefully read the detailed Information for Candidates specific to the country/region to which you are applying.
Rhodes Selection Committees are looking for young people of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service.
The four criteria which governed the selection of Rhodes Scholars in 1902 are still the guiding criteria for the selection of Rhodes Scholars:
- literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence)
- energy to use one’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- the moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
These are the essential qualities which Selection Committees are looking for, though their embodiment will be diverse and unique to each individual.
Selection Committees in each Rhodes constituency are made up of senior Rhodes Scholars (Rhodes alumni) and distinguished non-Scholar members of the local community, who represent a diverse range of experience and expertise.
- The application timelines are varied by country. Please check the individual programs web page for each country.