Call for applications for Professional Fellows Exchange Program for Fall 2019. The United States Exchange Program will take place at the University of Oklahoma from October 19 to November 16, 2019.
The Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication and the Ronnie K. Irani Center for the Creation of Economic Wealth (ICCEW) at the University of Oklahoma is partnering with the U.S. Department of State and stakeholders in Pakistan, India, Nepal, and Kazakhstan to host a five-week professional exchange in the United States that includes a professional fellowship placement at an American small business organization. The Professional Fellows Exchange program is scheduled for October 19 to November 16, 2019.
This program, funded by the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs’ Professional Fellows Program, will inject Pakistani, Indian, Nepali and Kazakh mid-level emerging leaders in small or start-up business ventures, business administration, NGOs, business education, incubation hubs, community training programs or social entrepreneurship into working small businesses in Oklahoma and associate them with one of America’s leading universities.
The program aims to provide professional experience and training that will nurture participants’ talent and prepare them for more responsible leadership positions in their businesses, communities, and society in general as they return to their countries. In addition, the program will provide U.S.-based small business stakeholders an opportunity to collaborate with their Pakistani, Indian, Nepali and Kazakh counterparts as they participate in a two-week outbound exchange to the respective countries in Winter, 2019.
Professional Fellows Exchange Program Details:
- The United States of America
- The U.S. Department of State
- University of Oklahoma
- 5 Weeks
Also, Apply for, International Summer School in Georgia – Fully Funded
- October 19 to November 16, 2019
- Be exposed to the day-to-day workings of the U.S. business workplace through quality professional experiences of four weeks;
- Gain exposure to a variety of American business organizations and networks in Oklahoma and Washington, D.C.;
- Get a conceptual and practical background for integrating themselves into the American business environment through conceptual lectures, discussions and exercises to expose them to concepts related to budgeting, business plans, strategic communication, leadership and management principles, social media developments, the business/government interface, intellectual property, contracts and business ethics;
- Enhance their leadership skills to facilitate positive change in their workplaces and communities as they develop personally and professionally;
- Participate in weekly face-to-face feedback sessions with University of Oklahoma faculty to reflect on their professional experiences for that week;
- Be exposed to a variety of business networks in Oklahoma designed to support start-up companies and to governmental/media institutions that can influence business;
- Be exposed to rich cultural experiences that represent Oklahoma’s unique environment especially the Native American experience, and exposure to American family life in a variety of settings;
- Become acquainted with the Pakistani-American, Indian-American, Nepali-American and Kazakhstani-American communities in the Oklahoma City metro area;
- Be exposed to networking opportunities with U.S. placement hosts and partner organizations in an ongoing discussion and exchange of ideas, support and resources;
- Get connected to a network of alumni from previous professional exchanges programs, professional placement providers and university faculty to facilitate ongoing discussion and exchange through social networking; and
- Have the opportunity to reconnect with Oklahoma stakeholders who will make reciprocal visits to Pakistan, India, Nepal and Kazakhstan.
- This program is fully funded by the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs’ Professional Fellows Program
Successful applicants will be placed in professional fellowship placements with Oklahoman small businesses. Placements will be in October-November, 2019 and participants will spend four weeks with these businesses.
- The first week of the program will be spent at both the professional placements and on the University of Oklahoma campus where fellows will participate in lectures, discussions and practical sessions focused on the role of entrepreneurship, economic empowerment and small business in society, the importance of budgeting, business plans, strategic communication, leadership and management principles, social media developments, the business/government interface and business ethics.
- The final week of the program will be spent in Washington, D.C. where participants will potentially visit their respective embassies and tour some of the cultural activities the city has to offer. Participants will also, before leaving for their home countries, participate in a three-day professional fellows conference with participants in professional exchanges programs from around the world.
- Be emerging leaders in either civil society or the private sector in Pakistan/India/Nepal/Kazakhstan who have demonstrated expertise in economic empowerment and entrepreneurial/small business development in the respective countries;
- Have relevant experience and expertise in the small business/entrepreneurship/economic empowerment profession;
- Be either a Pakistani, Indian, Nepali or Kazakh citizen;
- Be interested in experiencing hands-on activities in a U.S. business or economic empowerment organization;
- Be committed to the importance of a sustainable and empowering business sector in a democracy;
- Be proficient in written and spoken English as the entire exchange program and professional placements will be conducted in English;
- Be computer-literate;
- Be between the ages of 25 and 40.
Also Apply for, Tsinghua International Summer School 2019 in China
Please note that when you reach the bottom of this form, you will be asked to upload the material listed below. It would be best to have this information ready and available to upload as you complete the form, so you don’t have to come back to the system to add it later. Also, note that the documents listed below have to be uploaded at the end of your application form as a SINGLE PDF file. You will get only one opportunity to upload a file, which needs to be a single PDF. If you fail to combine your files into a single PDF, you will not be able to upload all the required documentation and you will not get an opportunity to go back and redo this later. Therefore, make sure you have these documents handy and you have them combined into a single PDF before you try to attach something at the end of your application form.
- A one-page cover letter, including a statement that you will comply with program requirements.
- A two-page resume. (NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS WITH COVER LETTERS AND RESUMES EXCEEDING THE PAGE LIMIT GIVEN ABOVE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED WHEN REVIEWING PROGRAM APPLICATIONS).
- A copy of university/college degree or other professional qualifications.
- Two letters of recommendation (written in English). These letters cannot be written more than two months prior to the application submission date and must include the following information:
- What is the author’s relationship to the applicant?
- How long have they known the applicant?
- How does the applicant: Collaborate with others? Adapt to new environments? Exhibit leadership qualities? Exhibit creativity and innovativeness?
(NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS CONTAINING LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION NOT WRITTEN IN ENGLISH, WRITTEN MORE THAN TWO MONTHS PRIOR TO SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION AND NOT ANSWERING THE ABOVE QUESTIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED WHEN APPLICATIONS ARE REVIEWED.)
How to Apply for Professional Fellows Exchange Program 2019?
If you are interested in applying for this program, fill out the online application form on the next page. Note that all application and supporting material MUST be provided in English. The deadline for submitting the online application is April 25, 2019. The grantee organization and its partner organizations will review applications from the first week of May 2019 onward and set up in-person interviews with a shortlist of candidates in the respective countries in July 2019.
If you have questions, contact program director Elanie Steyn (email@example.com) at the University of Oklahoma.
- The application deadline for the fully funded US Exchange Program is April 25, 2019.
Deadline is April 25, 2019