The Nordic Africa Institute is now accepting applications for Africa Research Scholarship 2019. Selected Applicants of African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme will visit Sweden for 60-90 days. This is a fully funded scholarship program for African students in Sweden.
One of the Nordic Africa Institute’s Strategic goals is to contribute to building capacity in the production of knowledge about Africa. The purpose of the African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme is to provide opportunities for Africa-based researchers with a PhD to work and develop their ongoing research at the Nordic Africa Institute.
The scholarship offers access to the Institute’s library and other resources that provide for a stimulating research environment. Through the programme, the Nordic Africa Institute can promote and establish relations with and between African and Nordic research communities.
Africa Research Scholarship 2019 Details:
Financial Support and Other Benefits:
- The scholarship includes a return air-fare (economy class), accommodation, a subsistence allowance of 400 SEK (approx. 45 USD) per day plus an installation grant of 2,500 SEK (approx. 280 USD) and access to a workspace (including computer) in a shared office at the Institute.
- The maximum duration of the stay is 90 days, minimum is 60 days. Please note that the subsistence allowance will be provided only for the days spent in Uppsala. Also note that most academic institutions in the Nordic countries, including the Nordic Africa Institute, are closed or at least running at a reduced capacity during the periods 15 June–15 August and 15 December–15 January. Applicants can thus not choose these periods for their visit.
- The Institute’s library is specialized in literature on contemporary Africa and focuses on Social Sciences. Furthermore, Guest Researchers have access to the Uppsala University Library and to the Library of the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
- Guest Researchers have the possibility to present their research at the Nordic Africa Institute and to visit other institutions in the Nordic countries.
- The scholarship programme is directed at postdoctoral researchers based in Africa and engaged in Africa-oriented research within the disciplines of Social Sciences and Humanities.
- The applicant should be affiliated to an African university/research center and have a proven track record of extensive research experience.
- The Institute strives to achieve a fair distribution of scholarship positions in regards to gender and geographic focus.
You will need the following along with your application form.
- Application form
- Up-to-date CV, including list of publications (if available online, please include links)
- Outline of research project, 5 pages:
– A well elaborated research proposal; the research topic must relate to the thematic research areas of the Institute as outlined in the Strategy 2017 – 2021,
– A work plan, including expected results, specific for the time spent at the Institute
- Reference: A signed letter of support from the applicant’s Head of Department or other senior scholar in the same field, which confirms current affiliation and field of research. (Scanned versions of signed support letters can be emailed by the applicant).
- Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered. Persons currently or previously employed by or otherwise professionally affiliated with the Nordic Africa Institute are not eligible for scholarships. Kindly also note that the application must be in English. In the extraordinary event that the Scholarship Programme for 2020 does not receive full funding, applicants will be informed immediately.
How to Apply for Nordic Africa Institute Africa Research Scholarship 2019?
Applications including all supporting documents should be sent by e-mail to:
Annika Franklin, Research Administrator, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: On the subject line of your email, write: “Application: Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme”.
- The application should be submitted by 1 April 2019.