Applications are invited for the fully funded McDonald Fellowships for Young Researchers 2018. The McDonald Fellowship enables young researchers from emerging countries to work in a research institution outside of their own country. Following the award, we expect applicants will be able to use the newly developed expertise and networks, continuing to undertake MS research and/or patient care in emerging countries.
- Multiple Sclerosis International Federation (MSIF)
- The fellowship consists of a two-year grant, around UK £30,000 per year, to cover travel and living costs, and an additional contribution of UK £2,000 per year to the host institution.
- They anticipate that part of the second-year grant to the host institution will be used to cover the expenses of the candidate attending the annual congress of ECTRIMS, the European Committee for Treatment and Research in MS.
All candidates must:
- Be under 35 at the time of application
- Be educated to post graduate level in an area relevant to multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Be citizens of an emerging country (all countries with a low, lower middle or upper middle income as defined by the World Bank)
- Focus their research in an area relevant to MS
Candidates must also be in one of the following situations:
- Working or studying in an emerging country (all countries with a low, lower middle or upper middle income as defined by the World Bank) at the time of nomination
- Working or studying in another country on a project which started within the six months prior to nomination
- Studying in another country on a project supported by an MS International Federation grant
Candidates are expected to return to their own countries at the end of the study period where they will contribute to advancing care and research in MS.
The fellowship may also be used as a supplement for work related to MS by a candidate who has been accepted for training in a recognized institute (within the six months prior to nomination) but who doesn’t have enough money to cover the total cost.
- The deadline for McDonald Fellowships is June 30, 2018