Applications are now invited for the Mandela Rhodes Scholarships Programme 2020. The Mandela Scholarship for African is providing Full funding is for Honours (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years).
The Mandela Rhodes Scholarships programme is a combination of financial support for postgraduate studies and a high-quality Leadership Development Programme, with the intention of building exceptional leadership capacity in Africa.
“The central purpose of The Mandela Rhodes Foundation is to build exceptional leadership capacity in Africa.”— Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela
Mandela Rhodes Scholarships 2020 Details:
- South Africa
- South African Institutions
- A. Financial scope of the Scholarship
- B. Leadership Development Programme: The MRF Leadership Development Programme is made up of the following three components.
- Three residential Workshops;
- Three Regional group Pods;
- Second Year Programme
The fully funded Scholarship for Africans covers the cost of a Scholar as follows:
- Tuition and registration fees as set by the institution
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF
- Accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF
- Economy-class travel allowance for international Scholars only from the Scholar’s home to their institution at the beginning and end of their degree
- Personal allowance
Also, Apply for, World Bank Scholarship Program 2019-20 – Fully Funded
- The Scholarship is open to citizens of all African countries
- The Scholarship is for postgraduate study at South African universities or tertiary institutions
- Full funding is for Honours (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years) or their equivalents (MBA’s excluded)
- Any individual who will be between the ages of 19 and 30 years at the time of taking up the Scholarship may apply
- Applicants must possess a first degree or its equivalent or must be in the process of completing one by 31 January 2019
- Applicants should have a history of well above average academic results
- Individuals that reflect in their character a commitment to the four principles of Education, Reconciliation, Leadership and Entrepreneurship
- Applicants must be able to attend all compulsory elements of our Leadership Development Programme. These activities can occur during the week or on weekends.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred once awarded. It must be taken up in the year which was applied for.
PLEASE NOTE: If you qualify for the Scholarship, The Mandela Rhodes Foundation does not apply to tertiary institutions on your behalf. Applicants must apply separately to their chosen tertiary institution for the degree they wish to undertake. The Scholarship award is conditional on the applicant being offered a place at the relevant institution.
How to Apply for Mandela Rhodes Scholarships?
All Mandela Rhodes Scholarship applicants are to apply online via the Embark application system, accessible via the link at the bottom of this page.
Here’s why to apply for the Mandela Rhodes Scholarship, according to Scholars from the 2018 Cohort.
All applicants apply online via the Embark application system on the MRF website.
- Round 1: Applications reviewed by South African tertiary institutions and the MRF (Alumni reviewers). By end June 2019, all applicants to be informed by universities and/or the MRF whether or not their application is through to the next stage.
- Round 2: Reviews by designated MRF staff. By the end of July 2019, remaining applicants to be informed by the MRF whether or not their application is through to the next stage.
- Round 3: Reviews by designated MRF staff. By end of August 2019, remaining applicants to be informed by the MRF whether or not their application is through to the next stage.
- Final round: Panel interviews with Selection Committees in October. By end of October 2019, panel interviewed applicants to be informed by the MRF whether or not they have been selected as Mandela Rhodes Scholars.
- The last date to submit your application for Mandela Rhodes Scholarships Programme 2020 is April 15, 2019.