The International Youth Math Challenge is an international mathematics competition that enables students from all countries to prove their math skills and to unleash their creativity. The Qualification Round 2019 of the International Youth Math Challenge has opened for submissions. Use your math skills and your creativity to qualify for the global final round to win great prizes and certificates!
IYMC gives you the unique opportunity to unleash your math skills and to apply them to challenging problems. Participants can receive certificates, awards, cash prizes, and global recognition.
All participants receive participation certificates. The best students receive the 1. prize, 2. prize, and 3. prize with a cash prize of respectively 200 USD, 150 USD, and 100 USD.
International Youth Math Challenge 2019 Details:
What makes IYMC unique?
There are several other math competitions besides IYMC that promote mathematical education. However, IYMC is unique and has many advantages due to a variety of aspects:
- Internationality: The International Youth Math Challenge is a global competition from
the first round! All participants solve the same problems in every round: This enables a
fair evaluation and international exchange.
- Online Submission: The competition uses the possibilities of the modern internet to give all students the opportunity to participate regardless of nation, region, or school.
- Special-Creativity Problems: The pre-final round includes two special problem types that only exist in the IYMC competition: the special-creativity-problems. This problem type represents real examples of mathematical research and requires special originality and advanced understanding of mathematics.
- Teacher Support and Online Tool: We supply teachers and schools with further materials and support them in case of questions, requests, or wishes. Teachers are provided with a separate interface to manage submissions of their students for the final round. Also, we have implemented an online tool to check submissions and results
- IYMC Ambassador Program: The IYMC ambassador program enables motivated students and supportive mentors to encourage youths for mathematics and competitions. Every IYMC ambassador is presented on the website so that interested students may get in touch with their respective ambassador. Ambassadors have access to a special interface to manage and report on developments and advancements in their area of responsibility.
Benefits and Awards:
The prizes and awards worth a total of 700 USD which includes cash prizes of 450 USD: All participants (regardless of the results) receive participation certificates to honor their efforts. In the final round, participants receive either a Bronze, Silver or Gold Honour, depending on the performance. The best students can achieve the 1. prize, 2. prize, and 3. prize as well as special awards for the best students from each region:
- 1st Prize: 200 USD Cash Prize, Special 1. Prize Certificate
- 2nd Prize: 150 USD Cash Prize, Special 2. Prize Certificate
- 3rd Prize: 100 USD Cash Prize, Special 3. Prize Certificate
- All Finalist: Bronze Honour, Silver Honour or Gold Honour
- All Participants: Official Participation Certificate (+ Special Honour for digital Submission)
Special Region Awards
- Best Participant from Europe
- Best Participant from Greater Middle East
- Best Participant from Africa
- Best Participant from South Asia
- Best Participant from (South) East Asia
- Best Participant from America.
Awards for Ambassadors
Each year, special awards are given to the most active and responsible ambassadors to honor their excellent performance. The IYMC coordinators use the information about the number of participants that you encouraged as well as your documented activities to honor the following awards:
- 1x IYMC Ambassador Award for Most Overall Participants: The ambassador that has encouraged the most students to participate in IYMC will receive this award.
- 1x IYMC Ambassador Award for Most Finalists: This award is received by the ambassador that was able to support most students to get into the final round.
- IYMC Ambassador Award for Excellent Encouragement: Ambassadors that are extraordinarily active and that have documented numerous activities to inspire students for mathematics as well as to encourage them to participate in IYMC receive this award.
Awards for Schools
We understand the crucial role of teachers and schools for mathematical education. Because of that, we award three school awards to honor the efforts of the teachers and the school (the awards are not connected to cash prize):
- 1x IYMC School Award for Most Participants: This award receives the school with the most overall participants of the qualification round to honor the efforts of the teachers for encouraging students to participate in mathematical competitions.
- 1x IYMC School Award for Most Finalists: This special award receives the school with the most students participating in the pre-final and final round.
- IYMC School Award for Excellence: This award receives the school with many outstanding students that have achieved high results throughout the overall competition to honor the quality education. The organizers decide which school receives the award.
Process and Rounds:
The IYMC 2019 takes place in three rounds:
- Qualification Round: The qualification round consists of five math problems. In order to qualify for the pre-final round, you need to solve at least three (under 18) to four (over 18) of the problems correctly. You can submit your solutions online until 29. September 2019. All participants receive certificates.
- Pre-Final Round: Successful participants can register for the pre-final round in October. You have one week to solve 10 problems of three types: 4x basic problems, 4x, advanced problems, 2x special-creativity problems.
- Final Round: Successful finalists can participate in the final round: You will take an exam of 60 minutes supervised by a supervisor. The winners receive certificates and cash prizes worth over 700 USD.
- Open to all High School and University Students.
- Depending on your age (over 18 years or under 18 years) you will have to solve more problems to qualify for the next round.
- Students from all grades and all countries are invited to participate!
- To solve the problems you should be smart, open-minded, and creative. You should have a working internet connection to submit your solution online.
How to Apply for International Youth Math Challenge 2019?
Please submit your solution to the qualification round via the official submission form. Pay attention to the following aspects:
- Clearly mark your final solutions (e.g. underlining, red color, box).
- The solution file may be typed digitally or it may be a clear picture of your handwritten notes. Digitally typed solutions receive a special honorary note on the certificates!
- You can upload one single file! If you have multiple pictures, please compress them into one single file (e.g. you can use ImgToPDF).
- You can upload PDF and image (jpg, jpeg, png) files. We do not accept any other formats (e.g. ZIP or Word files)! You can use this tool to convert your file into PDF: PDF-Converter
- The file size has to be below 10 MB otherwise it will be rejected.
- Important: Make sure that you write your name and birth correctly. It will be used for all certificates!
After you have submitted your solution via the submission form, you can log into your status page. This status page allows you to …
- check your status and to check your uploaded solutions.
- view your results and performance reports of each round.
- download/access all your certificates.
- upload solutions for the pre-final round.
- view your personal information and more.
Important Note: Emails do not always arrive properly (e.g. spam folder). Always check your status page in all rounds. We will post your results, certificates, and important information via your status page!
- The application deadline for Youth Math Challenge is 29 September 2019.