Entries are invited for International Essay Contest 2019 for Young People By Govt. of Japan & Goi Peace Foundation. Applicants from all countries can participate in an international essay competition. There are no participation fees.
This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity, and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
This program is an activity within the framework of the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
International Essay Contest 2019 Details:
- The Goi Peace Foundation
Creating a Society Full of Kindness”
- What does “Kindness” mean to you? How do you think we can create a kinder society?
Carry out ten acts of kindness, and then use your experience as inspiration in writing your essay (your essay does not need to be about your acts of kindness).
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate, a prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of Feb. 2019) … 1 entrant
- 2nd Prize: Certificate, a prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of Feb. 2019) and gift … 2 entrants
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift … 5 entrants
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift … 25 entrants
- 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan on November 23, 2019, and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
- Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
- All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2019, on this website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2019.
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2019) in one of the following age categories: a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title and cover page. Essays may be typed or printed.
- Entries submitted by postal mail must include a cover page indicating
- (1) your name (2) category (Children or Youth) (3) age as of June 15, 2019 (4) gender (5) nationality (6) address (7) e-mail (8) phone number (9) school name (if applicable) (10) your essay title (11) language (12) word count (13) list of ten acts of kindness you performed (describe briefly).
- Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
- Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
- A cover page template is available to download. You may also create your own cover page with all items (1)-(13) above.
- We are unable to confirm receipt of essays.
- Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizer.
If you have questions, please consult the FAQ section.
How to Apply International Essay Contest 2019 for Young People?
Please submit your essay either by postal mail or through the online registration page:
If you wish to submit your entry by postal mail, send to:
International Essay Contest c/o The Goi Peace Foundation
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093, Japan
- Entries must be received by June 15, 2019 (23:59 your local time).