Apply for the 2018 International Essay Competition for Young People and win some amazing prizes. The Goi Peace Foundation is organizing annual essay contest with an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
This program is an activity of the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
- Goi Peace Foundation
“The Change I Want to Make”:
- What is the one thing you would like to change the most to make your school, workplace, community, country or the world a better place?
- How would you bring about that change?
Please share your concrete ideas.
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of February 2018) and gift – 1 entrant
- 2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of February 2018) and gift – 2 entrants
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift – 5 entrants
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift – 25 entrants
- 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan on November 23, 2018 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
- Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
- All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2018 (Japan time) on the Goi Peace Foundation web site (www.goipeace.or.jp).
- Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2018.
- We are unable to answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.
The rules of the International Essay Competition are given below:
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2018) in one of the following age categories: a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 – 25).
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title and cover page. Essays may be typed or printed.
- Entries submitted by postal mail must include a cover page (free format) indicating
(1) category (Children or Youth) (2) your essay title (3) your name (4) address (5) phone number (6) e-mail (7) nationality (8) age as of June 15, 2018 (9) gender (10) school name (if applicable) (11) word count.
Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
- Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
- We are unable to confirm receipt of essays.
- Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizer.
How to Apply:
- Go to either “Individual” or “School/Organization” Entrant Registration page.
- After entering all required information, click “SUBMIT” button at the bottom of the page to create an account.
- When your account is successfully created, you will be automatically logged in to your “Account Dashboard”.
- For “INDIVIDUAL”: In your “Account Dashboard”, click “Add Essay” on the side menu, attach your essay by selecting the file on your computer, and click “SUBMIT”. (Note: Essay file must be in either DOC, DOCX or PDF format.)
Once your entry is successfully submitted, you can download your certificate from the “Download Certificate”.
- For “SCHOOL/ORGANIZATION”: In your “Account Dashboard”, click “Add Student” on the side menu, register one student per row, attach each essay by selecting the file on your computer, and click “SUBMIT”. (Note: Essay file must be in either DOC, DOCX or PDF format.)
Once your entry is successfully submitted, you can download your students’ certificates from the “Student List” and your certificate from the “Teacher’s Certificate” on the side menu.
- If you leave your “Account Dashboard” page, you can log in again with your email address and password from “Entrant login” on the top menu.
- Please note that you can only create one account with one email address.
- June 15, 2018