Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) is established by the Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong in 2009. The aim of HKPFS is to attract the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong’s universities.
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
Course Level: PhD Programmes
Number of Awards: More than 230 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in the 2018/19 academic year
Program Duration: 3 years
- annual stipend of HK$240,000 (approximately US$30,000)
- conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$10,000 (approximately US$1,300) per year
Those who are seeking admission as new full-time PhD students in UGC-funded institutions of Hong Kong, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability/potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
Shortlisted applications, subject to their areas of studies, will be reviewed by one of the following two Selection Panels comprising experts in the relevant board areas:
- Engineering and Technology
- Social Science
- Business Studies
While candidates’ academic excellence is of primary consideration, the Selection Panels will take into account factors as follows:
- Academic excellence;
- Research ability and potential;
- Communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Leadership abilities.