Applications are invited for Global Citizen Curtis Scholarship 2018 for US and UK Youth. The 2018 Curtis Scholarship is an annual leadership development program to support youth ages 16-20 from underserved communities in the U.S. or U.K. who embody the values of global citizenship.
The Curtis Scholarship, conceived and funded by Global Citizen Ambassador and Pearl Jam manager Kelly Curtis through the Vitalogy Foundation, is an annual award to mentor and support Curtis Scholars. The Curtis Scholarship seeks to create, support, and equip a network of youth advocates and community leaders committed to local and global response on issues surrounding extreme poverty.
- The Curtis Scholarship, conceived and funded by Global Citizen Ambassador and Pearl Jam manager Kelly Curtis through the Vitalogy Foundation.
- Curtis Scholars will be invited to join a 10 day learning trip to South Africa, and one advocacy trip to Global Citizen Week Events in NYC.
The Award consists of:
- Weekly pre-trip activities (June through August) and Monthly post-trip activities (September – December)
- Round trip airfare to South Africa (August 2 – 12) and New York (September 24-29)
- Global Citizen-led Orientation
Learning Trip Includes
- Pre- and post-departure trip learning sessions (through December 2018)
- Round trip airfare from within the U.S. or U.K. to South Africa (August 2 – 12) and New York (September 24-29)
- Round trip airfare from within the U.S. to NYC or within U.K. to London for a Global Citizen-led Orientation (August 1)
- All trip-related meals
- Lodging and transportation
- Other out-of-pocket expenses (at the GC’s discretion)
- Passport fees and all travel costs associated with this trip
- Ages 16-20 (by time of application)
- U.S. Citizens or U.K. Citizens
- Limited past overseas travel
- Family household income of under $85,000 USD or £60,000 GBP
- Those from minority and underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
- Applicants can choose between submitting 2-3 minute videos or 500-700 word written responses to the two essay questions in the application.
- Applicants must also respond to two short answer questions, up to 250 words each.
- Applicants must submit a recommendation letter from a teacher/professor, school administrator, community leader, or colleague to be considered for the Curtis Scholarship.
- May 20, 2018