DESY Summer Student Programme is now open and accepting applications form undergraduate students of physics and or related natural science disciplines. The selected students will particpate in the research activities of the laboratory.
DESY is one of the world’s leading research centers for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics.
- Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
- One and Half month
- July 17 to September 6.
- DESY Summer Students will be paid a subsistence allowance to cover living expenses for a single person.
- Travel expenses will be subsidized.
The Selected candidates for this program will join in the day-to-day work of research groups at the DESY Laboratory in Hamburg or Zeuthen (Berlin) and participate in one of these activities.
Program A : Experiments with Synchrotron Radiation (only at Hamburg)
Students join photon science groups at DESY engaged in fundamental and applied
research in the fields of physics, biology, chemistry, crystallography, material science, and geological science. Some of the students will work in the frame of the European XFEL project. The work includes participation in activities like preparation and realization of measurements, evaluation of measured data, and technical improvements of instrumentation.
Find more information about the different categories A1-A6 here.
Program B : Research in Elementary Particle and Astroparticle Physics, accelerators and computing:
- Research is concentrated on the following areas:
- The experiments ATLAS, CMS at the proton-proton-collider LHC,
- The preparations for experiments at the e+e- International Linear Collider,
- The Belle II experiment and
- The experiment ALPS II at DESY.
- At Zeuthen research is done also on the areas
- gamma-ray astronomy and astroparticle physics with the observatories
CTA, HESS, MAGIC, VERITAS, and Fermi LA (Zeuthen site only) and
- neutrino astronomy and astroparticle physics with the
IceCube Observatory (Zeuthen site only).
Find information about the different categories B1-B6 here.
Summer Program for Undergraduate Students
Field of Work:
- Physics or related natural science
- Please take note that due to regulations for paid traineeships in Germany we can only accept students that are enrolled at their university for the whole period of the summerstudent programme.
- Applicants should have completed, by the summer of 2018, at least three years of full-time studies at university level in physics or related natural science disciplines. The main target audiences are students who in summer 2018 are at the following two stages:
- they are about to obtain their Bachelor degree
- they have a Bachelor degree and are within the first year of studies for a Master degree.
Applicants who already obtained a master-degree or will obtain the master degree in 2018 are not accepted.
- Applicants should not have previously been at DESY as a summer student
Please note that all applicants should have a good working knowledge of English, some basic computing skills and are committed to attend the whole programme.
- In the course of this application you will have to upload a few documents. The uploading is to be done on the second page of the application All documents are preferably in pdf format.
- a CV (curriculum vitae), the CV should be in tabular form only and contain personal data, educational history / relevant work experience, computing and other relevant work skills (usually one or two pages are sufficient for the complete CV).
- University grade certificates (e.g. bachelor certificate, credit points, etc.).
- International Applicants from Non-EU and Non-EEA Countries and from Croatia need a working permission for Germany.
To obtain the permission the following procedure is mandatory.
There are two documents needed.
1. The following Certificate of Enrollment has to be filled in and stamped and signed by your university:
Certificate Of Enrollment
It is very important that the whole period of the summer student program is covered and that you use this form. Therefore, please state that your studies began before July 1st, 2018 and will continue at least until the 1st of October 2018. A filled example can be found here
2. A copy of your valid passport in English language. You will be asked to upload both documents on the second page of the application form. The original Certificate of Enrollment has to be sent out to DESY after we have made the selection and you have received the email telling you that you have been accepted to the program. Please send it via courier to:
DESY Summerstudent Programme
- 31th january 2018