Call for applications for Columbia University Leadership Program YPS 2019 in New York, USA. The Youth Peace and Security Leadership Programme will run from June 3 to June 14, 2019 in New York. Upon the completion of Columbia University leadership program the participants will receive a certificate of participation.
YPS leadership program in USA is designed to advance the work of youth leaders around the world by creating joint efforts between practitioners on the ground and research, theory, and practice from the academy.
This program will develop rigor in youth, peace, and security leadership efforts to increase effectiveness; build on local knowledge and experience to apply globally; enhance practice by grounding it in theory in areas related to YPS; connect global, regional and local networks via our global engagement partners; and support the implementation of the YPS global agenda. The program recognizes advances in the field and work already being done within the YPS realm, while at the same time supporting practitioners by linking their work to tools, research and practice in related fields that will elevate and amplify their work.
Selected youth leaders will spend two weeks in New York City, June 3–14, 2019. There will be classes, workshops, visits to the UN, and more. Upon completion of the program, participants will receive a Certificate of Participation.
Columbia University Leadership Program Details:
- United States
- Columbia University
- New York
- Two Weeks
- This offering has no application fee.
- All accepted applicants will be sponsored. All costs related to the offering, including lodging and meals throughout the two weeks at Columbia University, will be covered.
Note: Flight/transportation to/from the program and visa application fees are not covered
Must Read & Apply:
What You Will Learn:
Throughout the program, participants will:
- Learn the foundations of YPS
- Discuss implications of the YPS agenda toward a sustainable and peaceful future
- Enhance their knowledge of the concepts, theory and skills behind conflict resolution, problem-solving and intervention practices and skills
- Increase communicative behaviors and skills for increasing effectiveness as leaders
- Clarify the important role of youth in maintaining peace and security
- Design and implement a YPS project with their organization
The leadership certificate is designed for youth leaders who:
- Have demonstrated leadership in their efforts to work on behalf of youth initiatives;
- Have some aspect of their work related to the theme of youth, peace and security;
- Are available to travel to Columbia University in New York City for the two-week program to be held June 3-14, 2019;
- Are available to work with a local organization in their city for the following six months through December 2019 on a project they plan during the two weeks in NYC;
- Applicants must also be sponsored and supported by a local CBO/NGO, submit a project idea for review, be fluent in English and able to commit to the two-week engagement of the program.
- Are 18 -28 years of age;
How to Apply for Columbia University Leadership Program YPS?
Click on the APPLY NOW button below online application for the Youth, Peace and Security Leadership Program, co-sponsored by the School of Professional Studies (SPS) and the Youth, Peace and Security (YPS) project at the Advanced Consortium on Cooperation, Conflict and Complexity (AC4) at the Earth Institute, all at Columbia University in the City of New York.
In addition to this application you will need to submit two letters of recommendation: one from someone who has worked with you on YPS initiatives; and the second from the head of your participating organization. Please email these to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2019
- Applications are due by 12:00 p.m. (EST) on Friday, February 15, 2019.
Deadline is February 15, 2019