Applications are invited for the CERN Summer Internship program in Switzerland. People from all countries can apply for CERN Summer Student Program and all the cost of this summer program will be covered by the CERN.
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world’s largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter – fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Are you currently studying for a Bachelor or Master degree in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics? Are you looking for a practical training period during the European summer (June – September)? If so, this could be the opportunity for you: apply now for the CERN Summer Student Programme!
One of CERN’s key missions is education. Our professionals very much enjoy sharing their knowledge and expertise with students who are committed and passionate about their chosen field. There’s no better way to learn than on-the-job. And when that job happens to be in a world-famous research organisation and centre of scientific excellence, it’s even better.
- 8-13 Weeks
In return, CERN will provide you with the following.
- A contract of association of 8 to 13 weeks* to work on a technical project.
- An extensive physics lecture programme (students will also be able to attend a series of IT lectures organized by Openlab).
- A 90 CHF per calendar day (net of tax) subsistence allowance to cover the cost of accommodation and meals in the Geneva area for a single person for the whole contract duration.
- A travel allowance on a lump sum basis paid at the end of your stay to help you with the cost of travel between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee,
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive Health Insurance scheme (contribution already deducted from allowance).**
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERN site or nearby.
In order to qualify for CERN internship you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not Ph.D.) in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics and should have completed, by the European Summer 2019, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2019 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or another status) for more than 3 months.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Summer Student Programme.
Also check some other CERN opportunities:
Candidates who meet the eligibility criteria and have completed their application before the deadline will pass to the next step of the selection process. The final results of the selection procedure will be communicated to candidates by mid-April 2019.
- The last date to apply for the 2019 CERN Summer Internship Program is 31 January 2019
Please make sure you have all the documents requested to hand when you start your application on our career portal as they cannot be added after its completion (only reference letters can be submitted afterwards).
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains a link. You must forward this link to at least one referee, so that they can upload their recommendation letter. Please note that this must be done before the application deadline (31 January 2019).