The CERN Openlab Summer Student Program 2020 is now open for application. Undergraduate and Master’s students from all over the world can apply for the CERN Summer Student Program. The duration of the summer program in Switzerland is 9 weeks. The international student program in Geneva will run from Monday 15 June, 22 June, and 29 June 2020.
The CERN Openlab Summer Student Programme will cover the accommodation and living costs during the nine-week stay. Travel allowance, health, and accident insurance will be covered by CERN. A stipend of 90 CHF per day will be given to each student.
Are you currently studying for a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and have a strong IT profile (computer science, mathematics, engineering, or physics)? Are you looking for a practical training period during the European summer (June – August)? If so, this could be the opportunity for you: apply now for the CERN openlab Summer Student Programme! Do you Know CERN is also accepting applications for the fully-funded Cern Junior Fellowship 2020 in Geneva? Must Apply.
Stay in touch and keep visiting our Facebook page Scholarships Corner for live sessions and guidelines about different opportunities. We also share opportunities on our Instagram account on a daily basis. Follow us on Instagram “scholarshipscorner” and Don’t miss any opportunity.
CERN Openlab Summer Student Program 2020 Details:
Summer Program Duration:
- 9 Weeks
Summer Program Dates:
- Monday 15 June, 22 June and 29 June 2020.
CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment, and passion. In return, CERN will provide you with:
- A contract of association of 9 weeks to work on an advanced IT project.
- An extensive IT lecture programme. Students will also be able to attend the CERN generic summer student lecture programme if they wish.
- A 90 CHF per calendar day (net of tax) subsistence allowance to cover the cost of accommodation and meals in the Geneva area for a single person for the whole contract duration.
- A travel allowance on a lump sum basis paid at the end of your stay to help you with the cost of travel between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee.
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive Health Insurance scheme (contribution is already deducted from the daily allowance).
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERN site or nearby.
In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not Ph.D.) with a strong computing profile and will have completed, by the European summer 2020, at least three years of full-time studies at the university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2020 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or another status) for more than 3 months and you have not previously been a Summer Student at CERN.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Summer Student Programme.
How to Apply for Summer Student Program 2020?
You will need the following documents clearly labeled to complete your application (e.g. “CV”, “academic transcript”, “reference letter” etc) in PDF format to complete your application;
- A CV in either English or French,
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript giving an overview of your marks (if you download it from your university portal please make sure there is no protection so that we can open it),
- At least one reference letter (dated less than 12 months), preferably two.
Please make sure you have all the documents requested at hand when you start your application on our career portal as they cannot be added after its completion (only reference letters can be submitted afterward).
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation e-mail that contains a link. You must forward this link to your referees so that they can upload their recommendation letter. Please note that this must be done before the application deadline (31 January 2020).
Few Important Tips…
Ensure your CV is complete with all skills and experience that make you stand out as a candidate.
Be as clear and specific as possible in the application fields “Education” and “Experience” in order to increase your chances of being selected. Also included in this section all the specific skills (programming languages, hardware, databases, etc.) that you have acquired and support your application.
And last but not least, make good use of the ‘Motivation’ section to tell us why you’re a great candidate for CERN!
Candidates who meet the eligibility criteria and have completed their application before the deadline will pass to the next step of the selection process. The final results of the selection procedure will be communicated to the candidates by mid-April.
- The last date to apply for the CERN Openlab Summer Student Program 2020 is 31st January, 2020.
Deadline is January 31, 2020