Applications are invited for the fully funded CERN Openlab Summer Program 2019. The CERN openlab Summer Student Program is for undergraduate and masters students in Switzerland.
The duration of the CERN Summer program is 9 weeks and all the expenses of this program will be covered by the CERN. Students from all nationalities can apply for this summer students program.
During two full months corresponding to 9 weeks (June-August 2019), CERN openlab summer students will work on an advanced IT project and will be given a series of IT lectures specially prepared for them by experts at CERN and other institutes. The students also have the opportunity to attend the main CERN Summer student programme lectures, if they wish. Visits to the accelerators and experimental areas are part of the programme, as well as visits to external companies. A short report and a presentation on your work and project at CERN will be expected at the end of your stay.
Are you a bachelor’s or master’s student in computer science, mathematics, engineering, or physics? Do you have a strong computing profile, and would be interested in working on advanced ICT projects at CERN during summer 2019? If so, we have just the solution for you CERN openlab Summer Student Programme.
- The duration of CERN Summer internship is 9 weeks.
Financial Support & Benefits:
This is a fully funded CERN’s openlab Summer Student Programme. You don’t have to pay for anything.
In return, CERN will provide you with:
- A contract of association of 9 weeks to work on an advanced IT project.
- An extensive IT lecture programme, students will also be able to attend the CERN generic summer student lecture programme if they wish.
- A 90 CHF per calendar day (net of tax) subsistence allowance to cover the cost of accommodation and meals in the Geneva area for a single person for the whole contract duration.
- A travel allowance on a lump sum basis paid at the end of your stay to help you with the cost of travel between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee.
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive Health Insurance scheme (contribution is already deducted from the daily allowance).
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERN site or nearby.
Also apply for some other amazing international opportunities:
- Fully Funded CERN Junior Fellowship Program
- Fully Funded CERN Senior Fellowship program
- Hansen Summer Institute in USA – Fully Funded
- CDLinks Summer School in Italy 2019
In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Open to all Nationals
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) with a strong computing profile and will have completed, by summer 2019, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2019 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Tips for Application:
Ensure your CV is complete with all skills and experience that make you stand out as a candidate.
Be as clear and specific as possible in the application fields “Education” and “Experience” in order to increase your chances of being selected. Also include in this section all the specific skills (programming languages, hardware, databases etc.) that you have acquired and support your application.
And last but not least, make good use of the ‘Motivation’ section to tell us why you’re a great candidate for CERN!
Candidates who meet the eligibility criteria and have completed their application before the deadline will pass to the next step of the selection process. The final results of the selection procedure will be communicated to the candidates by mid-April.
- The last date to apply for CERN Openlab Summer Program is 31 January, 2019.
Please make sure you have all the documents requested to hand when you start your application on our career portal as they cannot be added after its completion (only reference letters can be submitted afterwards). Please note that all the documents you upload will remain attached to your Smartrecruiters profile. You do not need to upload them again for other applications you might submit.
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains a link. If you have not yet uploaded your reference letters when applying, you should forward this link to at least one referee, so that they can upload their recommendation letter