Applications are invited Annemarie Schimmel Scholarship for Female Applicants form Pakistan UK. The Scholarship was established in honour of Professor Annemarie Schimmel to commemorate her great contribution to culture and poetry in Pakistan and her role as a dedicated woman scholar. It offers the opportunity to do post-graduate study in the United Kingdom to a woman who is committed to make a genuine contribution to her chosen field on her return to Pakistan.
- United Kingdom
- Annemarie Schimmel Scholarship
Fields of Study:
- Selection will not be restricted to any subject. Preference will be given to traditional humanities or sciences and also to humanitarian fields, such as public health, special education and ancillary medical fields, for example, physiotherapy and radiography. Studies in economic development, social sciences and modular courses in various disciplines will also be considered. Subjects excluded are journalism, business, management and gender/women’s studies. Candidates wishing to pursue higher learning in areas related to Annemarie Schimmel’s scholarship on Islam are encouraged to apply.The course of study can be purely academic or could involve practical training. Prospective candidates are strongly urged to acquire basic computer literacy and word processing skills.
- The scholarship is awarded for one academic year (session starting Sept/Oct. 2019) for a Master’s degree at recognized institutions of higher education in the UK.
- The Scholarship has a reputation for absolute fairness and is extremely generous. It allows candidates to choose from the best and most prestigious public institutions of higher learning in Britain.
- It covers the full cost of tuition and basic living expenses. The selection is based completely on merit but a major consideration is given to the need and relevance of the particular degree for Pakistan and the commitment of the scholar to return and serve in Pakistan.
- The Schimmel scholars will be chosen for their ability and commitment without discrimination as to religion, caste or creed.
- Candidates must have either a professional degree or they should have completed sixteen years of education in a relevant discipline.
- They must be citizens of Pakistan and have a declared intention to return and pursue a career in Pakistan.
- Those having a minimum two year professional work experience will be given preference.
- There is no restriction on age, but preference will be given to candidates between the ages of 25 and 40.
- A genuine need for financial assistance is an essential condition of the scholarship.
- The candidates must supply adequate evidence that they would not be able to study abroad without financial assistance. Candidates must bear the expenses of air travel. While not a requirement, preference will be given to those candidates who have secured admission to a programme of study at a recognized institution of their choice in the United Kingdom.
- In the absence of a sufficiently qualified candidate the scholarship committee reserves the right to make no nomination. Candidates must have cleared their IELTS exam before appearing for the final interview held in November/December of the current year.
Doctoral candidates are not eligible.
Arrange and attach documents in the following order:
- 1 passport size photograph.
- Photo copies ( duly attested ) of M.A./ M.Sc.,B.A./ B.Sc. or professional degree.
- Financial statements showing parents / family / husband’s position;
- Employers certificate stating salary drawn by spouse / father; Tax papers / Pension papers, whatever applicable.
- Two letters of reference:
- from an academic referee
- from any other source
- Documents to substantiate work experience stated in your application form.
- Letter of admission from proposed institution in the United Kingdom (if available).
- A non-refundable processing fee of Rs.1000/= to be sent as a bank draft in the name of Annemarie Schimmel Scholarship Association. Please do not use any staples on the draft.
- One self-addressed Rs.20/= stamped envelope, in case of no email address.
How to Apply:
- Applications are invited up to 7th June 2018, accompanied by ALL required documents. They must be submitted once and not in parts. Online, incomplete and late applications will not be entertained. An initial short-listing will be done according to the eligibility criteria mentioned.
The application form and above mentioned documents must be attached and couriered to the following address:
Annemarie Schimmel Scholarship
76-C Tech Society,
- 7th June, 2018