The Aga Khan Foundation Canada is now accepting applications for its amazing International Youth Fellowship Program 2019. This is one of the best fellowship programs for youth to become a leader in global development. AKFC is searching for individuals who can demonstrate a commitment to international development, are driven by the desire to make a meaningful change in the world, and are ready to apply their skills and experience to a challenging overseas internship.
This prestigious Fellowship is a launching pad for diverse careers in the government, non-profit, media and finance sectors. It offers a training program and an eight-month overseas placement to recent university graduates and young professionals under 30.
In the last 28 years, over 500 young Canadians have participated in AKFC’s International Youth Fellowship Program – an extraordinary opportunity to become a leader in global development.
AKCF International Youth Fellowship 2019 Details:
- Aga Khan Foundation Canada
The Fellowship program is nine months in duration, and consists of:
- a 3 week management training seminar in Ottawa (June)
- an 8 month overseas placement (July to February)
No. of Participants:
- Each year AKFC selects between 10 and 25 Fellows to participate in the Fellowship. The number of candidates selected varies based on available funding and finding the suitable candidates for the available placements.
All Fellows must meet the following application criteria:
- Hold, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution by April 30th, 2019, with a record of strong academic performance
- Will not be enrolled in any educational program for the duration of the Fellowship program (June 2019 – February 2020)
- Demonstrated a commitment to international development through related volunteer, professional or academic experience
- Be 30 year of age or under on or before February 1st 2019
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident
- Be fluent in English
- Present all appropriate documentation (CVs, degrees, transcripts, references, etc.)
There is no flexibility on the eligibility criteria, and any applications not meeting the requirements will automatically be disqualified.
What qualities is AKFC looking for in a Fellow?
In addition to meeting the eligibility criteria listed above, successful candidates have demonstrated leadership potential and excellence in their academic and professional lives. Fellows also complement a strong interest in international development with volunteer and extracurricular activities that demonstrate their willingness to support the growth of communities both at home and abroad.
While overseas, Fellows are expected to live simply, often in rural communities or large urban centres. As such, individuals with the flexibility and maturity to adapt to new contexts and communities are ideal as Fellows.
Candidates will be expected to communicate realistic and mature expectations of the Fellowship experience and a sophisticated understanding of general development concepts and issues. Additionally, candidates should be able to discuss their own experiences relating to intercultural sensitivity, initiative, flexibility and adaptability, teamwork and maturity.
AKFC looks for Fellows who demonstrate humility and a commitment to change. Individuals who are self-starters and show a commitment to development and learning are highly valued.
How to Apply for AKFC International Youth Fellowship Program 2019?
- Click on the APPLY NOW button below and follow the 4 steps outlined to sign up for an account and complete the application form. Note that the application works best in Chrome.
Applicants must submit a complete application, along with recommendations (academic, professional, and personal), by February 1, 2019. AKFC assesses all applications received based on skills and experience and personal suitability for a potential placement. Due to a high volume of applications, only successful applicants will be invited for an interview.
Interviews begin mid-February starting with IMM followed by IDM.
Following the interview stage, successful candidates receive an offer of placement outlining their Fellowship Program.
- The last date to apply for Aga Khan Foundation Canada’s International Youth Fellowship Program 2019 is February 1, 2019.
Deadline is February 1, 2019