Call for applications for AFRIKA KOMMT Fellowship 2019 – 2021 for Future Leaders from Sub-Saharan Africa. The Afrika KOMMT Fellowship is a fully funded Africa fellowship. The duration of the African Fellowship Program is one year and after one year all the selected participants have to return to their own countries.
19 leading German enterprises founded the initiative AFRIKA KOMMT! in the year 2008 – the very first joint-initiative for capacity building by German industry. After the success of the first six programme intakes and the seventh AFRIKA KOMMT! intake still in process, the eighth AFRIKA KOMMT! intake will follow on seamlessly with the application phase starting 27 November 2018.
At the heart of the AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme is an eight-months practical training in a leading German enterprise benefiting both, fellows and partner companies – a classic win-win situation:
The programme fellows benefit through:
- Gaining first-hand practical experience in a leading German enterprise
- Being exposed to leadership concepts and management techniques in practice
- Becoming acquainted with working processes and business culture in German enterprises
- Extending their international management competencies
- Initiating networks of cooperation partners between Sub-Saharan Africa and German companies
AFRIKA KOMMT Fellowship 2019 Details:
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- One Year
The AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme includes:
- An individual German language course before departure to Germany
- An intensive German language course in Germany including fees, accommodation and living allowance
Travelling expenses – Flights, Visa, etc.
- Visa for Germany for one year
- Roundtrip airfare from your home town to Germany and back
- Travel to refresher course and back
- Programme-related travelling expenses in Germany
Monthly living allowance during the theoretical phase
- Monthly living allowance of € 750,- (August, September and October 2019; July 2020)
- One-off relocation fee of € 1.000,- for settling back into the home countries
- Monthly salary during the internship in the companies of approx. € 1.500,- gross
- Accommodation during all stages of the programme in Germany (including internet allowance, electricity, water and other charges)
- Health, accident and liability insurance
- International management training courses
- Study tour and weekend seminars in Germany
- Refresher course in Germany or Africa, including management training
- Alumni networking activities
- AFRIKA KOMMT! is a practice-oriented fellowship programme. Fellows will receive two certificates. One official certificate upon successful completion of the programme with a detailed description of the specific contents and components of the training and one official certificate by the partner company upon successful completion of the internship.
- In addition, fellows will receive a certificate by the Academy for International Cooperation of GIZ GmbH by successful completion of the professional training in the tool “International Competence Development Journal
Also check some other international fellowships 2019:
- UNESCO Japan Fellowship Program – Fully Funded
- Reuters Institute Journalism Fellowship in UK – Fully Funded
- Yale Maurice R. Greenberg World Fellows Program 2019 in USA.
Key elements of AFRIKA KOMMT:
Financed by the German partner companies, the capacity development programme AFRIKA KOMMT! consists of the following key components:
- One-month individual German language preparation course
- One-year stay in Germany comprising of:
- Two-months intensive German language course
- Eight-months internship in a German partner company
- Three one-week training modules on international management and leadership competencies
- One-week study tour in Germany on relevant subjects, e.g. “Digital Change”
- Weekend seminars on cultural and social subjects organised by the Robert Bosch Stiftung in Stuttgart and the ZEIT-Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius in Hamburg
- Cultural weekend activities organised by GIZ
- Transfer phase after the stay in Germany with integration into the AFRIKA KOMMT! Alumni Network and its regional Alumni Clubs
- Refresher course in Germany or Africa, approx. 6-12 months after the stay in Germany, offering the former fellows to extend their networks with other alumni and to mutually benefit from their experiences.
Candidates need to fulfill the following formal eligibility requirements:
- University degree in a relevant subject (please see individual company profiles below)
- Postgraduate degree (e.g. MBA) is an advantage
- Two to five years of relevant work experience
- Excellent English language skills
- Basic knowledge of the German language is an advantage
- Not older than 35 years and physically fit
- Female candidates are welcome
The AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme aims at highly qualified, self-driven young professionals and junior executives from Sub-Saharan Africa with several years of hands-on work experience, strong leadership qualities and a very high level of commitment and dedication.
Besides the specific technical expertise relevant to the partner company, the programme requires candidates to have the following set of general skills and attributes:
Language and communication skills:
- Excellent English skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- High willingness to learn German
- High leadership potential
- Strong self-motivation and self-starter mentality
- High level of dedication, commitment and target-orientation
- Strong capacity for teamwork
- High level of enthusiasm, flexibility and resilience
- Outstanding intercultural competencies
- Ability to adapt to new environments quickly
How to Apply for AFRIKA KOMMT Fellowship 2019 – 2021 for Future Leaders?
Click on the APPLY NOW button below to proceed the online application. Please fill in your email address below in order to access the application form. If you are registering for the first time, a password will be send automatically to your email address. If you have already registered using the same email address, you will be asked for a password.
Please note that all the information you enter during the application process will be saved automatically, so you can come back to the application form whenever you desire until having completed all the fields required. We assure that all data will be kept absolutely confidential.
The last date to apply for AFRIKA KOMMT Fellowship 2019 – 2021 for Future Leaders is 11th of January, 2019.