Call for applications for Afresist Youth Leadership Program 2019 for Young Africans. The Afresist Youth Leadership Program (AYLP) was created by activists of Afrika Youth Movement (AYM) and is rooted in the belief that African youth can be everyday pan-Africanists, everyday leaders, everyday activists.AYM is Africa’s largest youth-led Pan-African movement that strives for the participation, development, and leadership of African youth to achieve their rights to peace, equality and social justice.
The Afresist Youth Leadership Programme is more than a training programme – it is a philosophy, a new model that is in harmony with the Africa We Want. It is designed and directed by Africans for Africans. As Africans, we have always been participants in programmes directed by others, but it is time for us to produce our philosophy of leadership driven by African and feminist wisdom and values.
These will be the vehicles driving the Africa we dream of that has eluded us for generations. We need to think outside the box and develop new successful leadership models and decolonize conceptions that feed into current western centred leadership programs.
AYLP, therefore, aims to shift the conversation about youth leadership from Western models of peaceful free and fair elections as indicators of democracy to everyday active citizenship.The leadership program is designed to support and train youth who are interested in activism as well as those who are discovering their place and role in society.
Afresist Youth Leadership Program Details:
- Afrika Youth Movement (AYM)
Program Duration & Dates:
- Phase I: 10-17 April 2019 – Nairobi, Kenya
- Phase II: 24-29 July 2019 – Location to be confirmed
- Action Phase: between May and July, participants will go back to their communities and conduct a research project and apply the skills they learnt in a social project
- Full and partial scholarships will be provided to selected applicants.
- Full scholarship includes travel, accommodation and program registration.
- Partial scholarship includes accommodation and program registration.
- Program materials which includes African movies, literature, art, case studies
- Certificate of becoming an “Afresist Leader” after completion of the full program
The two-phase program offers two weeks of intensive training which provides participants with an experience that will equip them with skills, knowledge and network to own and build the Africa We Want!
There will be online activities and engagement which will take place throughout the program; and two ‘face-to-face’ trainings on the continent.
Centred on Pan-African philosophy, participants will gain knowledge on various theoretical and practical approaches that include:
- Intersectional Analysis
- African Leadership and Wisdom
- Postcolonial Africa
- Concept of Power
- African-inspired self-care tools
- Intergenerational dialogue
- African Art and Spirituality
- African Women’s wisdom
In a nutshell, participants will be learning and sharing experiences to reflect, collaborate and co-create their vision for Africa.
- Africans residing in Africa
- 18-25 years old at the time of submitting the application
- Have good proficiency in English
- Have a genuine interest in personal growth and self-empowerment
- Be aspiring or young leaders in their communities
How to Apply for Afresist Youth Leadership Program 2019?
Fill the online application form carefully. Click on the APPLY NOW BUTTON below to process to 2019 online application form.
- The deadline for submission of application form is Monday 11th February 2019
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview by the end of February 2019. The announcement of selected participants will be made on Monday, 25th March, 2019