The CHARM GLOBAL Scholarship Program for undergraduate degrees is designed to provide international students with opportunities to study at Semyung University in South Korea for Bachelor-level degrees and Korean Language Program, which in turn will contribute to the internationalization of SMU campus and promoting the international exchange in education and to deepening the mutual friendship among countries
- South Korea
- Semyung University
No. of Scholarships:
- 5 students
Bachelor’s Degree Program (4 years) after preliminary Korean Language Program (1 year)
- Scholars must take the mandatory Korean language training at Semyung university language Scholarship will be cancelled automatically if you do not obtain the level 3 on TOPIK(Test of Proficiency in Korean) before the completion of the one-year language program.
- Scholars with level 3 on TOPIK will be exempt from the language program and must begin their Bachelor’s degree program from Spring 2018.
Available Fields of Study: 4-Year Bachelor’s degree programs
- For more details on the available majors and study, refer to the “appendix 1”. All applicants must choose a major.
- Nursing and Korean medicine are no available to international students
Prospective applicants must meet all of the following conditions.
- CITIZENSHIP: Attention! Neither the applicant nor the parents should hold the Korean citizenship
- AGE: An applicant must be under age 25 as of March 1, 2018 (Should be born after March, 1, 1993).
- HEALTH: An applicant must be in good health, both physically and mentally. Those with disabilities, but in good mental and physical health, are eligible to apply. Those with severe illness are NOT ELIGIBLE to apply.
- LEVEL OF EDUCATION: An applicant must have graduated or be expected to graduate from a high school as of March 1, 2018. Those who have already achieved a Bachelor’s degree or a higher degree are NOT ELIGIBLE to apply. Those who have graduated or are expected to graduate from a high school in Korea are NOT ELIGIBLE to apply.
- GRADES: An applicant must either have the cumulative grade point average (C.G.P.A.) of 80% (out of 100%), or be ranked within the top 20% throughout the entire high school period. G.P.A. should be 2.64/4.0, 2.80/4.3, 2.91/4.5, 3.23/5.0 or higher [see Appendix 2]
- An applicant should never have been awarded with any scholarship programs from Korea for an undergraduate degree program.
- An applicant must have no limitations in travelling abroad
- Applicants who have proficiency in the Korean (above Level 3) or English language (IELTS above5.5) will be given preference.
- Applicants from low income families or underprivileged backgrounds will be given preference
- Scholarship Period: March 1, 2018 ~ February 28, 2023 (1-year Language + 4-year Degree Program)
- Tuition: The tuition fee is covered by SMU. The university entrance fee is covered by SMU as well.
- Korean Language Training: The full cost for the 1 year is covered by SMU.
- Dormitory Fee (Included Meal Plan) for 5 years.
- Dormitory fee and meal plan are 100% supportable for both semester and vacation.
- Semyung University does not cover the expenses for airfare, medical expenses and insurance.
Required Documents: 1 set of the original documents below
- Completed Application Form (Form 1)
- Personal Statement (Form 3)
- Study Plan (Form 4)
- Two Recommendation Letters (Form 5)
- Must be from two separate recommenders.
- The letters must be written by someone who can give in-depth assessment on the applicant’s abilities, including a high school teacher, principal, or academic advisor.
- Graduation Certificate of High School
- Those who are expected to graduate may submit a provisional graduation certificate of high school.
- High School Grade Transcript (including a description of the school’s grading system)
- Certificates of Citizenship of the Applicant and Parents (Examples: a birth certificate, a government-issued certificate indicating the parent-child relationship, a family register, or parents’ passport copies)
- Awards (Optional)
- Applicants with certified scores on their proficiency in Korean or in English may be given preference. Some examples include the following:
- Proficiency in Korea: TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean)
- Proficiency in English: TOEFL, TOEIC, or IELTS Academic (TOEFL ITPs are not acceptable)
- Copy of the Applicant’s Passport (only for candidates who successfully pass the 2nd round of selection)
- 1 set of the original documents should be placed in a single envelope. Recommendation letters sealed by the recommenders and submitted with the seals unbroken.
- Original documents should be submitted. However, should they be available, copies must be authenticated by the issuing institution, confirming that they are the same with the originals.
- The applicant’s name on the application form MUST be identical to the applicant’s passport name.
- If there is any inconsistency in the applicant’s name or birth date on submitted documents, further evidential document must be submitted as verification.
- Any applicant, who submits a provisional graduation certificate at the time of applying, must submit his or her official graduation certificate of high school upon arrival in Korea, no later than March 1, 2018.
- The application documents must be arranged in the same order as written on the “Checklist” in the FORM 1. Each document may be stapled. However, DO NOT staple the entire application documents altogether, or put each document in a separate folder.
- Application form and all other materials should be filled out either in Korean or in English. Any document issued in languages other than Korean or English MUST include official notarized translations.
- All documents submitted must be A4 sized. If the document is smaller, attach it to A4 sized paper; if bigger, fold it to make it A4 sized.
- The high school grade transcript must contain a description of the school’s grading system. In case the transcript does not have information on the applicant’s rank or percentile score, an applicant must submit an additional official certificate issued by the high school, confirming that the applicant’s academic achievement meets the requirement written on 5-(5) above.
- All documents must be numbered and labeled on the top right corner. (Example. ⑦ Graduation Certificate of High School)
- Mailing address should be stated in full including the postal-code
- Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant. The applicants are advised to make their own copies of all application documents.
- Incomplete or incorrect documents will result in the disqualification of an applicant.
Application Deadline: December 8th , 2017 18:00